(Closed) So Miss Manners from 1982 says…

posted 5 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Where should guests be seated/sat/placed/dumped?
    Husbands and wives should never be separated. : (194 votes)
    33 %
    Follow Miss Manners' advice: who DOESN'T want to sit next to strangers? (if they don't smell) : (9 votes)
    2 %
    Put people who know each other near each other, but not necessarily next to each other. : (76 votes)
    13 %
    Mulder and Scully. : (29 votes)
    5 %
    A la Miss Manners, people should be arranged man - woman - man - woman around the table. : (29 votes)
    5 %
    I would never go to a wedding if I thought I would be separated from my beloved. : (113 votes)
    19 %
    Yes, I refer to him as my beloved. : (70 votes)
    12 %
    Beloved by Toni Morrison : (23 votes)
    4 %
    Yeah, the one about the ghost baby. : (38 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 3
    1237 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I may have gone overboard with the voting Embarassed I would be super annoyed if I couldn’t sit with my hubby/fi/so/whatever. We went to a wedding where we were separated but that was because he was in the wedding and they had a head table…I was still annoyed though because I didn’t know many other people there.

Sorry Miss Manners but you can shove it 🙂 hahaha

Post # 4
    5664 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

I can’t even decide  how to answer your poll LOL! But I think that rule is assinine! Just cause they sit together all the time doesn’t mean they “should” be separated at your wedding. Isn’t that when we all feel the most sappy and want to be with our SO? So weird!

Post # 6
    2696 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

O.o

What?  Why would you separate them?  That makes zero sense.

Post # 7
    5671 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

If my husband was in a wedding and was at a head table that is the only time I think I would be okay with us being seated seperately. Otherwise I would be a little upset if I wasn’t seated next to my husband.

Post # 8
    3569 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I didn’t vote. I think it depends, I don’t always need to sit right next my Fi everywhere we go.

Post # 9
    1314 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I loved your voting options. So funny! If I was going to a wedding with my FI (whether or not we were married, if we were attending as an invited couple) and we weren’t seated together (unless he was in the wedding party) I would be thoroughly confused and not very happy…

Post # 10
    615 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

Interesting. This kind of makes sense (in a very dated way, of course). Just thinking off-hand of all the period films I enjoy watching, I now realize that married couples aren’t seated directly next to each other during formal meals and are seated in the man – woman – man – woman fashion.

And, I’m probably one of the few gals around that thoroughly enjoys mingling/meeting new people when at large social functions. My husband is the very same way. In fact, we typically see very little of each other at parties and weddings because we’re so busy socializing with different crowds. I mean, I get to see my husband and sit next to him at meals every other day of my life. I really wouldn’t care in the slightest if I was seated next to someone else at a wedding or dinner party – even a stranger. Doesn’t mean I’d ever go out of my way to purposely separate a couple, but I really don’t see why it’d ever be a big deal. In my experience, hardly anyone stays in their original/designated seat for longer than it takes to eat dinner, anyway.

Post # 12
    2903 posts
    Sugar bee

hahaha loved the poll. i think that is very outdated, even if it was a very very formal dinner, hopefully you would sit across from your date so they could rescue you from the surrounding people if necessary.

Post # 15
    2876 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

mmm i like mingling but i like to choose to do it rather than have it forced on me. I mean there are oddballs in every group, so id prefer to be sitting next to my husband (well future husband!) rather than ‘ ‘over friendly uncle’ ‘drunken old high school friend etc)

The topic ‘So Miss Manners from 1982 says…’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors