- 5 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
I have a vet appointment today at 2, so hopefully there will be an easy explanation and treatment. Unfortunately, I have to go out of town for work Wednesday morning – Saturday mid-day. I was planning on having Fiance come and check in on the kitty, but depending on what the vet finds, I may see if they can board him to keep an eye on him. I hate to do that – I know being boarded would be very stressful for him. I always hire a petsitter to come and check on him rather than board him.
He is a VERY active 8 year old cat. No problem jumping, running, etc. He always would get on my bed at 6 AM and just snuggle and purr and knead to his heart’s content.
Since Saturday (although I didn’t really notice it until Sunday evening because cats sleep a lot anyway), he has been
- Very lethargic
- Seems like his hind end is really hurting him or his back legs have gotten really weak
- Had trouble jumping up & down and seems much slower than usual walking
- Not eating and drinking that much, although he seems to eat more if I bring it to him, which makes me think he just isn’t getting up because he hurts
- Cries a little when being picked up or getting up, which is unusual
- Not purring at all or coming in for our morning vists
- Won’t come when called or when I shake treats, like he normally would
- This morning he missed the litterbox a little on #2, which is VERY unusual, but it almost was like he didn’t want to get his hind end all the way into the box maybe?
Poor baby!!! My heart is breaking for him. I was going to take him in yesterday but he seemed to be on the mend. But then he seemed to get worse again yesterday, so I made the appointment.
Last night I moved my mattress to the floor so he could climb onto the bed easily and sleep with me. What did that stinker do? He used it as a step to get up on the now empty box-spring!
He seems okay and not rapidly declining or anything, just almost like he has awful arthritis or something, but he was 100% fine up until Saturday. It’s going to be tough for the vet to get a good look too, because he’s so scared at the vet he just kind of curls up against me and is all tense. I’ve been trying to take videos of the unusual behavior.
Send some good thoughts his way if you would!