- 4 years ago
- Wedding: September 2014
I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for my first DIY project for my wedding in September (6th! 5 months to go!). Once I had seen these bouquets from Lillybuds – http://www.lillybuds.com I knew I needed one for myself, specially seeing as I’m not a fan of fresh flowers, unfortunatley I couldn’t afford her work, so I thought to myself, “It doesn’t look so hard! Surely I could do it myself!”.
Well, let me tell you the emotions I felt during this project where a lot like the 7 stages of grief –
Shock or Disbelief – Thoughts along the lines of, “It really is this bloody hard!”
Denial – “No, it can’t be this hard! I’ll get through this!” Also, “It’s not going to take me that long to get it done, maybe 2 days tops!”
Anger – “I am SUCH an idiot thinking I could do this!”, “Why won’t you stay in shape!!!” “What was I thinking?!!?” Also, directed at my Fiance – “WHY DID YOU LET ME DO THIS!!!”
Bargaining – “If you stay in shape, I promise that you will be treated with the utmost respect and honor you deserve!” I am also pretty sure here a few pleading prayers where prayed repetitively!
Guilt – “Oh. My. God. I’ve spent HOW much on this?! And it’s not even working!!!!”
Depression – Tears where shed. Also “I am such a failure! It should be finished by now!” and “It’s never going to look good! It’s just going to look like the contents of a burlesque dancer’s bag has been thrown into a huge knot and put on a stick!”
Acceptance and Hope – “Oh my gosh! It’s actually taking shape! It’s looking amazing! There IS a GOD!” <br /><br />So after I’ve spent over 100 hours on this (I’m a perfectionist!), actual blood, sweat and tears, it’s taking shape. Now it’s just gap filling and then finishing off the handle! <br /><br />Also, I thought I’d add in a few tips to those who, like myself are insane and decide to make this yourself. I also couldn’t have gotten this far without my fiance, engineers are fantastically useful when it comes to structure!
With mine, I didn’t want to use a scaffold per say under the brooches, so I made it level 10 difficulty from the start. So my bouquet is all hand shaped – still has a bit to go but its looking almost perfectly round!
In Australia, Lincraft has floral wire pre-wrapped, which dropped off a step for me. I used 22 gauge wire for most of the bouquet.
Big brooches are your friend! I also am using a few smaller ones to fill the gaps.
To keep them all secure, and not rattling, I individually wired up some of the less secure brooches to others. This helped seeing as I don’t have a scaffold (floral foam or styrafoam). I also wired in some of the gap filling brooches, and any that where loose. This helps it not to all separate when picked up the right way.
I could hold the bouquet tight enough with my hand, and that kept them all together, but the minute I let go, I couldn’t get them to stop separating. I put this dilemma to the Fiance, and he came up with this –
It’s a hose clamp, I picked one up at my local fishing/boating/camping store (BCF for those Aussies!). You tighten the screw and the metal ring gets tighter. Keeps all the stems together (I have over 100). It just gets hidden under the collar.
I also needed a way to stop the handle from bending – so I inserted an aluminium pipe into the stems, and held them all together with the hose clamp. Stops it all from bending! Once that was done, I trimmed the stems to the same length and then I used floral tape to wrap the handle up to keep the stems together and stop the pointy bits ripping anything or stabbing me (trust me! It hurts!).
So enough writing, I’ll add some pictures – I don’t have any of the steps, but here’s some of the somewhat finished product.