posted 3 months ago in Rings
  • poll: 7.5mm or 8mm for size 7 finger, sol387

7.5mm

8mm

• Post # 17
    81 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    librarybeenc :  That particular ring was set in white gold, but I also have a colored-stone ring in a yellow-gold bezel, and that stone looks quite large as well. The reason is that there is a full collar of metal not just accentuating but enlarging the outlines of the gem, and we perceive it as larger. With prong settings, the prongs are purposely small and allow the dimensions of the stone to speak for themselves. 

P.S.: I wear a size 6 1/4.

Post # 18
    3309 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2017

Go larger! Diamond Simulant Shrinkage Syndrome (DSSS) is real (no pun intended lol)

Go big or go home!

Post # 21
    98 posts
    Worker bee

I voted 7.5. I think it’s a classy size, and I agree bezel’s make it look larger. My colleague got a 1 carat in a bezel and holy smokes I really couldn’t believe it was just a 1 carat.

Ultimately, though, it’s what you’re comfortable. What are the factors that would lead you to choose a 7.5 mm over an 8 mm? What are some of the reasons that you feel indecisive?

I’m just curious what types of things you’re considering. Is it that you’re afraid it will look too big in the 8 mm? (Big compared to other people’s rings, for example?)

Good luck with your decision!

Post # 23
    98 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    librarybeenc :  That makes total sense. Is there anywhere locally you could try some bezels on to see how you feel? I know some of my local jewelry stores have some on display. I myself have tried a 1.5 ct bezel on locally. It might be worth calling around?

I hope you get something you absolutely love. I feel like given your concern about size, you should go with the 8 mm. You may be unhappy with the 7.5 mm after the initial honeymoon phase has worn off.

Best of luck my dear!

Post # 25
    98 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    librarybeenc :  Trying on a diamond in that size should give you an idea though.

It all depends on where you live, but where I’m from 7.5 mm is considered a large stone. 8 mm gets stared at and people wonder if it’s fake cause it’s just not common here. For me, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anything larger than a 1.5 carat equivalent.

What sizes of rings are common in your area? Some people also don’t care about that, but I know I am a person who does. I’d like to have something bigger than average but not something so big that it draws so much attention… do you get what I’m saying? Not sure if that matters for you or not.

I personally think the 7.5 would look tasteful and attractive. But that’s just one person’s opinion.

Plus you can bling it up with a blingy band too if you wanted to 🙂

Post # 27
    Bee
    5098 posts
    Bee Keeper

Nevermind.

Post # 30
    1 posts
    Wannabee

View original reply
    mrstodd2bee :  you said,

“Go larger! Diamond Simulant Shrinkage Syndrome (DSSS) is real (no pun intended lol)

Go big or go home!”

not sure I understand the “pun”.  What a passive aggressive way to tell someone that you consider their choice a fake/knock-off.   Every comment I see of yours has that same backhanded passive aggressiveness when it comes to moissanite.  You think that because people have to read between the lines of your posts it somehow deletes your underlying cattiness?  I’m pretty sure everyone and their dog, cat, fish and bird knows your feelings on moissanite.  Maybe you could give it a rest at some point?  

OP, your ring is gorgeous!  congrats.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors