- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2008
So, I did not set out to watch the Grammy’s last night. It happened out of sheer bordem, and then curiosity about how they would pay tribute to Whitney, and then I stuck around to see Paul McCartney. I, admittedly, am not a huge fan of much in the realm of music these days. There are few muscisians and bands that I really like, and I feel most of the stuff that is played on the radio is overproduced crap. Talentless, even. Obviously there are exceptions, but as far as modern music goes…I can’t find anything on a top 40 station that I can bear to listen to almost. I am a fan of the “classics” as far as bands/music go. British Invasion rock and roll, The Who, The Beatles, The Stones. Motown, Doc Watson, Van Morrison…music that I feel actually MAKES you feel something.
Anyway. So the Grammy’s. I have sooo many questions, y’all. Despite what I stated above, I have to say I do love Adele. I think she is adorable, I think she is raw talent, I think she is down to earth, and I thought she was deserving of each of the awards she won. I do love her, and I thought she killed every single second of her performance.
So now, my questions:
1. What in the ever-loving fuck was Niki Minaj doing? I have never even HEARD one of her songs (but oddly, I know many of these pop musicians by name/face because of blogs I frequent) I found myself sitting on the couch thinking I was in some crazy alternate universe that I couldn’t quite wrap my brain around during her performance. Please help shed some light.
2. What is a deadmau5 or a Skrillex? Are these people? Is what they do “musically” actually considered an art? If they’re standin behind DJ equipment, how can they even prove they are DOING anything. If I was paying out the ass to see them live (which sounds so weird, I can’t believe they can sell out Earl’s Court or other venues around the world…THEY STAND BEHIND A COMPUTER!!!!!!), I”d want to kow they were actually doing work up there. I just do not get it. And please, explain the mouse head. I just…..can’t.
3. What is dubstep? Is it the same thing as a deadmau5 or a skrillex (though I think I now realize that deadmau5 and skrillex are people? is that right?)? I can’t understand what this is either.
4. Chris Brown. That’s all. Really? Why??
5. Why does LMFAO get to be a thing?
Obviouusly, this is in no way intended to offend anyone or their musical choices. I appreciate that everyone loves and appreciates different music, I thing watching last night just opened my eyes to things that are happening in music right now. Mainly, this electro stuff. I am kind of shocked! I kept thinking “isn’t it unfair that the people in this audience get to take with them this memory and 40 years from now they’ll tell their kids…”oh I remember seeing the biggest electronic house music DJ in the world”. How I wish I got to live in the era during which I could tell my kids today “Oh, I remember seeing Led Zeppelin in London”. Sigh.