(Closed) Someone please exchange the name change process to me!

posted 9 years ago in Names
Post # 3
3620 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

1) Take a certified copy of your marriage license to the Social Security office – they will file a name change for you.

2) Take a certified copy of your marriage license to the DMV and they’ll get you a new license.

3) Contact your credit card companies, they’ll likely ask you to fax a copy of your new license and/or the marriage license to them and then they’ll send you a new card with your new name!

Post # 4
2788 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Thanks @7SEVENJ9: I was curious about this as well!

Post # 5
505 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

You will receive your certified copy of your marriage license back in 2-3 weeks.  This is what you will use to change your name.  After you get it in the mail, go to your local social security office and they will change your name, its actually a very short and painless process.  Then you have to wait 7 days to receive your new social security card.  They also give you a piece of paper to use at the license branch if you don’t want to wait for your new card to come in.

Then you go to your local license branch with your marriage certificate and social security card/paper from SS office and they will update your information and mail you a new driver’s license.  From there you can start changing your name with your creditors and such.  Most of them require you to mail in a written name change request along with a copy of your marriage license, social security card or new license.  It all kind of falls into place.

Post # 6
708 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

What do I do if I don’t have a copy of my current SS card? Will other ID work at the SS office? Anyone know?

Post # 7
1568 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1996

@SEVENJ9 has it summarized well. Do note that you’ll of course need to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate before you can get started. Depending on what state you live in, you may have to apply to have a certified copy mailed to you.

A few more hoops you’ll want to jump through after you’ve taken care of the Social Security Administration, the DMV, and the credit cards: passport, auto insurance, homeowners or renters insurance, your employer’s payroll department, any bills or utilities that are in your current name, your mortgage or lease, and then there are your magazine subscriptions, your alumni organizations, and of course any school you might currently be attending.

Also, note that some banks will let you change your name on your accounts, credit cards and policies over the phone, while some will make you come into the bank with your certified copy of your marriage certificate. I was able to change my USAA credit card, checking account, savings account, homeowners insurance and auto insurance over the phone, whereas Bank of America insisted that I come into the bank. You’ll want to look on your bank’s website or call them to be sure.

But first things first, as 7SEVENJ9 said,

0) Certified copy of your marriage certificate

1) Social Security Administration

2) DMV

3) banks.


[ETA] @magilnyc: You don’t need to provide your current Social Security card. All you need is the filled-out form requesting a new card, which is available online or at the SSA office, and your certified copy of your marriage certificate. When I did it, they didn’t even ask me to provide a current form of identification with my old name on it. (Though the procedure states you’re supposed to provide proof of age, identity and citizenship, so you’ll want to bring your current driver’s license or passport.)

Post # 8
7693 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

@magilnyc: Yes, you dont need a copy of your SS card – I never knew where mine was .They will only need your drivers license I believe but bring another form of ID in case!

The topic ‘Someone please exchange the name change process to me!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors