Post # 16
Dont know what to tell you bee, two suggestions thought.
(1) Could wedding insurance help here? Make absolutely absolutey 100% sure they would cover this situation (mine wont, my weather policy is only for hurricanes) but with the right insurance you can insure anything. Could you get a plan B with a park (with cheaper tent), church something and then insurance would pay for having to move the wedding last minute if it rained. AGAIN JUST MAKE SURE YOUR COVERED and get it in writing.
(2) Have you checked that day for rain in years past. I would go back 10 years and see if how often it rained that day. (I know that’s no grantee). I’m my area we have a TV meteorologist that you does a free wedding weather service. You just download the station app, enter your wedding day and he’ll send you past weather reports for that day. Closer to the day he’ll send you detailed weather reports.
I have issues with my venue too. I’m hoping my ceremony will be outdoor but have a plan B and plan C (plan B won’t work if it is thundering and lightning) but both plans will work at same venue.
They have restrictions on outside vendors too. I can only use their approved list of vendors.
It all depends on what your really really want and what you can live with.
Post # 17
Thank you all, bees!
This venue (the problem one) is new, and this is only its second year doing business.
I think I’m ultimately getting excited about the outdoor venue with the tarps in case of rain. The place also has lodging on site, so people aren’t necessarily “stuck” somewhere with no jacket/personal comforts for six hours in case of bad weather.
It may not be the exact storybook vision that I had in mind, but they’ve been around for years and know what they’re doing. Not spending the next year googling weather and having anxiety attacks is probably worth sacrificing my “vision” a little bit.
Thank you for all of your help!
Post # 18
themountainsarecalling : SoCal bee here. What venue is this? What city? The heat might be a real concern esp with the current heat wave…I’m thinking no way is it going to be 80s. More like 90-100+. But it’s a crapshoot. Today was 70s and tomorrow is supposed to be triple digits…
Post # 19
themountainsarecalling : Ahhh I think you’re good yo go with the venue with a backup plan. I’m thinking the place that’s in business 2 years only will find hardly anyone will be willing to pay $8k for rain. That’s insane to me.
Post # 20
If your worried about the rain you pretty much have to book a tent. If your the type of person who wants to source all your own vendors and look for the best deal maybe book a different venue. I didn’t want to do that and I do not have help so I booked a place we’re we are useing all their vendors. But I was able to see the vendors prices before hand and they were average pricing not more not less. So this is good for some but not everyone. But August in Ca can still be pretty hot. You may want to look around some more maybe move your wedding date to the fall or spring. Really research reviews you can find out hidden Problems or unexpected costs.
Post # 21
themountainsarecalling : Is there an option to have the ceremony somewhere else if you go with the outdoor with tarps venue? Tell them it is the only thing holding you back from booking with them and see if they can come up with something!
Post # 22
Since it’s California and rain is virtually unheard of in the summer, I actually don’t think you need a rain plan. If anything I’d be concerned about a heat wave.
Post # 23
themountainsarecalling : An $8,000 tent is insane…people really take advantage when it comes to weddings. If you decide to do the wedding in August then I would say go for it since the rain chance is slim. Other than that, I would pass. In general they seem too complicated regarding vendors anyway.
Post # 24
sweatergal007 : It’s in Lake Arrowhead, so generally a little cooler than most of SoCal, especially in the evenings.
Do you SoCal bees think July would be better? I can see if they have any available dates then.
October 5 and 19 are also available, and they said we could do 3-9 to avoid the late night freeze. But the end of the reception is still probably going to be pretty cold, which is why we were leaning towards August. Also, the lack of a rain plan.
Post # 25
Tbh we didn’t have a rain plan for our California late-July wedding. No rain had ever been recorded on that day. In your area, do summer rains tend to be heavy or light (on the unusual times they happen)? Could you get away with umbrellas? This venue sounds like a nightmare with their vendor restrictions, but the lack of rain plan probably wouldn’t be my reason to pass.
We did feel we needed to provide light shade though. Would your space be in full sun?
Lastly, I remember lots of years in so cal when it rained around Halloween so I’d think twice about October as a solution.
Post # 26
themountainsarecalling : ok knowing that it may have better weather. I would go by historical weather then instead rather than me. Lol.
Itmay very well be very nice then. If rain is an option in October I wouldn’t risk it. It might rain in Oct. We had ours in October but the rain backup plan was free.
It hardly rains in SoCal. There’s never a guarantee but I can’t think of it ever raining here in August…June yes a few times.
Post # 27
My brothers tent rental (in the uk) is about £6000 but includes chair rentals etc. It was one of the cheaper options: teepee stylw ones were 12k. That aside I really think you should try and negotiate. $8k is a lot of money and with all the extra costs (eg for the photographer, I agree with PP about being comfortable with them) I think you need to chat. I was furious with my venue because of all the extra charges. It’s been the single most stressful thing about plannin. After managing my mum.
Post # 28
catskillsinjune : I second this.. 80degree heat is absolutely roasting. I’ve had to sit through outdoor wedding ceremonies in this heat, and in the direct sun, and that was bad enough. To have to sit or stand in that for the whole reception as well would be unbearable for me. Think also older grandparents and stuff also… Also bugs / flies etc – granted I don’t know what the SCali mountains are like but I would not like to be stuck outdoors alllllll day and night without some indoor relief (and I like the outdoors!)
perhaps tho there are indoor areas to sit in if you need to, just not being enough for a reception?
i also would have real problems in principle with the vendor, photography restrictions and majorly so with the $8000 back up tent.. sounds like a racket.
tents can be boiling inside as well if it’s humid – what does your €8000 get you other than a rain cover? And will it be decorated /cooled /floored etc?
ETA: just saw your update about how new the venue was compared to one option well versed in weddings – that would def give me more comfort also.
Post # 29
- Wedding: March 2021 - Kauai, HI
Don’t be a financial slave to this venue. Keep looking! 2 years in business, I’d also worry about that. Find something you’re happy with in your budget. 8k for rain? Forget that. At my last wedding the back plan was get married in the rain under umbrellas. Our reception venue was inside though so worst case we got married there.