Post # 1
Lately my fingers and my rings have not been getting along. I’ll save you from a gross picture but basically my finger is red and scaly/dry (it was painful but has gotten better) where my rings normally sit.
My set is white gold and we discovered when the rhodium plating wore off, that I have an allergy to the white gold. Annoying, but not the end of the world as long as I keep it plated.
Well back in early december my finger started acting up again – i checked the rings, the rhodium is still intact(it was only re-dipped in July) so I am thinking i must have gotten hand soap under it that irritated my finger. I took my rings off, gave them a thorough cleaning and left them in my jewelry box until my finger healed. Sadly, that wasnt the end of it – I put my rings back on and within the week my finger was angry again =(.
I’m not sure why it acted up after being thoroughly cleaned. I guess I’ll go have it professionally cleaned and see if thats any better.
It’s just so frustrating – all I want to do is wear my sparkles!
Anyone else ever have this issue?
Heres my set:
Post # 3
I had this issue with my original e ring and, sadly, had to replace it with a platinum one. I was upset about losing the sentiment of the one my husband proposed with, but I got over it eventually. I hope you have better luck than I did! I probably could have kept redipping it but I was sick of having to go without a ring so often.
Post # 4
I have never had that…. but that is bizarre you are allergic to white gold…. maybe you are allergic to the Rhodium plating. Also what karat is the setting, I think the only pure gold is 24 Karat the rest are cut with some other type of alloy metal, perhaps you are allergic to the alloy metals.
Post # 5
Maybe there are areas so small you cannot see them that are reacting? The rhodium itself is hypoallergenic, so its probably the nickel in the white gold alloy you are reacting to. Maybe you can take it to get redipped again? I know they say it starts to wear off around the 6 month mark, which is where you are at right now.
Post # 6
You don’t have to replace it with platinum, you could have it melted down and platinum added to it, so technically it’s the same ring. But I’m not sure if that will be enough to stop the allergic reactions. Good luck!
Post # 7
@SupermansSweetheart: Oh my goodness I haven’t ever seen any bees with a ring similar to mine – we are almost ring twins!
Hope your ring/finger situation is taken care of quick, I would be so sad not to wear my ring!
Post # 8
You are almost certainly experiencing a nickel allergy. Most white gold is made with nickel.
Your options are this:
1. Get your ring plated frequently. Like, every 3-4 months based on your reaction.
2. Get your ring remade with platinum, palladium, or palladium white gold.
I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this- unfortunately nickel allergy is quite common (~20% of the population) and many women find out after a few months of wearing a white gold ering. It’s so common, in fact, that nickel containing jewelry is banned in Europe. No idea why it’s still allowed here!
Post # 9
My sister in law is getting her rings remade in a different metal because her reaction is so strong. She gets a rash all down the back of her hand if she wears even the wedding band.
Post # 10
@creeative1: It’s possible but I doubt its the rhodium. The original issue didnt start until it had worn off and I worn my ring for 2 years before that. It’s 18k WG, it probably is the alloy’s its mixed with, as I cant wear cheap earrings for long before my ears itch and hurt. The rhodium should fix that though.
Post # 11
- Wedding: May 2014 - Madison, WI
Sounds like nickel allergy, which I also have..my set is white gold but I made sure my white gold was not made with nickel. It’s made with palladium so that I wouldn’t have an issue. The jewelers I worked with told me it’s becoming less common to use nickel in WG because of the known allergy issues, but I don’t know if you’d have any way of finding out now what your WG is composed of to make sure.
Post # 12
@LindyLu: It’s possible, still hoping maybe something i cant see is stuck in it irritating my finger.
@thehappiestbridetobe: Thats awesome, your ring is gorge! I’ve never seen anyone with anythign remotely like mine on here or IRL. =D
@vermonster: My mom has a nickle allergy so that very likely could be the cause.
Well I’m goign to take my rings to the jeweler and have them cleaned in the fancy machine(forget what its called haha) wait for my finger to heal and give it one more shot. If that fails, I’m not sure what we’ll do :S
Post # 13
@SupermansSweetheart: Yeah, the fact that you can’t wear cheap earrings either is a dead giveaway for a nickel allergy. Sorry… it sucks but you’re probably going to have to opt for a more permanent solution. Whatever you do, don’t keep doing the cycle of wearing it and getting a rash because that could cause scarring.
Post # 14
I also have a nickel allergy, but I have a white gold RHR I wear pretty frequently that I haven’t had too many problems with (and just had it sized, I’m pretty sure the jeweler re-dipped the whole thing while they had it though because I just got it back and it looks amazing!). I got a platinum wedding set though because of the irritation (which was fine with me, I prefer platinum x10000 to white gold). White gold earrings cause problems as well.
Post # 15
Definitely sounds like a nickel allergy to me. They can become more severe over time.
Post # 16
I am allergic to my white gold rings as well. I’m going to look into getting them re-set in a different metal because I’m honestly really tired of the white gold coming off so fast and easily on me. I don’t even wear my rings everyday! I can’t wear them to work (wash my hands way too often) and I don’t wear them in the shower or when I’m cleaning and it still wears down after 2-3 months! It’s crazy. I do notice that my allergy gets worse once it’s worn down a lot though. I have the same issue with fake earrings as well. It’s a total bummer.