(Closed) Sparklers & Matchbooks?

posted 11 years ago in Favors
Post # 3
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

some suggestions..

1. if ur having a different ceremony venue, have the guests hold them up as ur leaving to the reception

2. if ur having an old enough flower girl, she can hold a sparkler walking down the aisle 

3. guests/wedding party can hold them during ur first dance or as ur walking into the reception venue and being presented for the first time

hope this is helpful!

Post # 4
291 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

When you’re getting the sparklers, if it’s at all possible, try to buy them around New Year’s or Fourth of July…my Maid/Matron of Honor used sparklers at her wedding (we lined up for their getaway and made a sparkler arch — it TERRIFIED me — I was afraid another drunken guest would light me on fire…I have issues with sparks and fire…), and several of them pooped out.  I think about a third to half the sparklers gave out half way down.  I think they were old.  Still looked cute, tho’. I think if you buy when they are plentiful, your chances of getting old duds lessens.

Post # 5
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

also make sure your venue is okay with you having them. mine doesn’t allow them at all. boo 🙁

Post # 6
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2007 - Wynbrick Center - a historic mansion in my hometown.

FWIW (because it was a question of mine before we actually tested it), regular matchbook matches *will* light sparklers 🙂  And I second the motion to get them at Indep. day or New Year’s; they’re so much cheaper then than they are online the rest of the year!  Also, we found that the ‘super long burning’ ones don’t actually burn *that* much longer than regular ones 🙂

HTH!

Post # 7
378 posts
Helper bee

I randomly found this site, which *seems* to have pretty good prices:

http://www.annsbridalbargains.com

If you go to "discount favors" they have the matchbooks.  

Post # 8
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2007

I bought my sparklers on ebay I think. I got plain white matchbooks from ebay as well and had an embosser with the first letter of our last name made and embossed all of the matchbooks. I had a grand dream of us leaving the reception to a nice sparkler glow, but the reality? The kids found them early on in the reception and started lighting them outside on their own, then when the reception ended there weren’t very many people left and we had to stay to make sure all of our supplies got packed up, etc…so there was no send off at all. Good luck! I think you can find the supplies online at a cheap price any time of the year…no need to wait until Independence Day sales.

Post # 9
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

I was told that we shoudl get the sparklers that burn for longer periods,  ie 1 minute opposed to 30 sec, so they’ll last for photos.  I did also hear those were harder to light.  Does anyone have any experience with it?

Post # 10
291 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

Hm. Maybe *that’s* what the problem was w/ my MOH’s sparklers…yeah, she had really long, thick ones, so I guess they were meant to burn longer.  They were tough to light, and were sorta sporadic — they’d spark-spark-spark, fizzle, spark-spark…I also remember having the [email protected]$$ sparklers for New Year’s when I was a kid, and they were tough to light.

Post # 11
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2009

If you plan on staying for the whole reception, a cool way to use the sparklers are during your entrance / first dance. This will have an awesome backdrop for photos too.

I was planning to have a christmas / new years wedding – and the sparklers were a must for me. Just like you, I’ll be at the reception the whole Night Long.

Post # 12
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2007

I got mine from here : http://www.sparklersonline.com/

I bought the 2 boxes of the 20inch kind  so that everyone could have like 2 sparklers each. It was GREAT! I wanted to use them outside but didn’t want them used as a "send-off" either. so we had a "sparkler celebration" I put them in a vase near the gifts and put a label on the vase that said "sparkler celebration 9:30". we timed it so it would be in the middle of dancing. 

I got these ones cause they lasted so long for great pictures. Also they send along 10 extra "starter" sparklers (that are smaller) which make lighting easier / faster then with matches. Which is really nice cause no one had to wait around for other people to light theirs.

Here’s a link to some more fun sparkler pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602935023251/show/ 

sparkler kiss

Post # 13
5 posts
Newbee

I had read somewhere about putting a sparkler on everyone’s piece of cake. This may be difficult to do depending on the number of people, so maybe you could do it just for the wedding party.

Post # 14
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2007

For Your Party is great for personalized anything, including matchbooks. http://www.foryourparty.com

They did my coasters and they were great to work with 

The topic ‘Sparklers & Matchbooks?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors