(Closed) sperm analysis? what now?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
3059 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Most likely you will need a referral or a “prescription” for the SA. We had to have ours done at a fertility clinic, but I’ve heard some labs or even hospitals can do them. But ask your doctor, he’ll know. Good luck!

Post # 4
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I would suggest calling your OB and telling them that you want an SA done. Remember, you are paying them. They will do it if you ask them to.


Post # 5
2281 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@whiskeyandrhinestones:  Hi there! Sorry you’re going through this! My DH just got an SA done and we were just as confused. I’d recommend that your DH call the closest urologist’s office and ask about how to get a SA. If they can’t do it there, they should be able to tell you who to talk to. Good luck!

Post # 6
4284 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My DH just got a “prescription” from his GP. He dropped his sample off at the lab in the hospital. GL

Post # 8
416 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I would ask for a referral to an OB/GYN (or ask a friend for a recommendation).  Generalist OBs still have a lot more training in fertility and stuff than general practitioners have, and they might be able to figure out a lot without more invasive testing.  They can also order a semen analysis and analyze it.  They would only need to send your DH to a urologist if things are abnormal.  Good luck!

Post # 9
1496 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Just ask your Dr. Mine gave me a goodie bag with the sterile cup and all directions. All DH had to do was call them ahead of time so that someone was there to get the sample.

Post # 10
1432 posts
Bumble bee

@whiskeyandrhinestones:  when you figure out what lab you are going to make sure you know what kind of tests they run. We went to a fertility seminar at a RE’s office and he said some only run a sperm count but that’s useless, just make sure they test  count, motility and morphology otherwise he will end up doing it again if you end up having to go to a fertility doctor. Good luck!

The topic ‘sperm analysis? what now?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors