(Closed) Spinoff: 100 Books to Read Before You Die

posted 7 years ago in Entertainment
  • poll: How Many of These Books Have You Read?
    None - I don't read. : (0 votes)
    1-5 : (5 votes)
    6 %
    6-10 : (8 votes)
    9 %
    11-15 : (11 votes)
    12 %
    16-20 : (13 votes)
    15 %
    21-25 : (19 votes)
    21 %
    26-30 : (10 votes)
    11 %
    31-35 : (8 votes)
    9 %
    35-40 : (5 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    5797 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2011

38/100

Frankenstein is THE WORST (more trauma from high school) How is Ender’s Game not on here? Or the Sound and the Fury?

ETA: Catch-22 is my favorite book ever

Post # 4
    3624 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

3. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
    7. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
    14. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
    16. Dracula (Bram Stoker)
    25. The Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)
    40. A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)
    51. Hamlet (William Shakespeare)
    68. Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
    74. Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)

Hm. Those are the only ones I’ve read. Apparently I’m not doing so well! LOL 9/100

I’d like to read:

37. Trainspotting (Irvine Welsh)

50. American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis)
    52. Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
    60. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

63. The Shining (Stephen King)
    76. Neuromancer (William Gibson)
    81. The Black Dahlia (James Ellroy)

Post # 5
    5572 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

How fun! I’m at 36!

ETA:

Oops I’ve read Anne of Green Gables too…so 37 🙂
    Dracula, The Shining, and Gone With the Wind will probably be the next ones from this list that I read.

1.. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)2. Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)3. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)4. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)5. Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)6. Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham)7. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)8. Animal Farm (George Orwell)9. Naked Lunch (William S. Burroughs)10. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson)11. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)12. War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)13. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)14. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)15. The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)16. Dracula (Bram Stoker)17. The Interpretation of Dreams (Sigmund Freud)18. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)19. Watership Down (Richard Adams)20. Ulyssess (James Joyce)21. For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ernest Hemingway)22. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)23. On the Road (Jack Kerouac)24. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)25. The Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)26. The Bible (Various)27. Emma (Jane Austen)28. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)29. Lady Chatterley’s Lover (D.H. Lawrence)30. The Iliad (Homer)31. Aesop’s Fables (Aesopus)32. Little Women (Lousia May Alcott)33. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou)34. I, Robot (Isaac Asimov)35. Crash (J.G. Ballard)36. The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks)37. Trainspotting (Irvine Welsh)38. The Midwich Cuckoos (John Wyndham)39. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)40. A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)41. The Outsider (Albert Camus)42. Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Truman Capote)43. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Caroll)44. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)45. Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)46. Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens)47. The Road (Cormac McCarthy)48. War of the Worlds (H.G. Wells)49. The Three Musketeers (Alexandre Dumas)50. American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis)51. Hamlet (William Shakespeare)52. Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)53. Brighton Rock (Graham Greene)54. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon)55. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)56. Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy)57. Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)58. The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)59. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)60. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)61. Schindler’s Ark (Thomas Keneally)62. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Ken Kesey)63. The Shining (Stephen King)64. The Jungle Book (Rudyard Kipling)65. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (John Le Carre)66. Moby Dick (Herman Melville)67. Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)68. Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)69. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)70. The Pit and the Pendulum (Edgar Allen Poe)71. The Godfather (Mario Puzo)72. 1984 (George Orwell)73. The 120 Days of Sodom (Marquis de Sade)74. Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)75. Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson)76. Neuromancer (William Gibson)77. The Time Machine (H.G. Wells)78. Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)79. Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe)80. The Colour Purple (Alice Walker)81. The Black Dahlia (James Ellroy)82. Dune (Frank Herbert)83. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)84. I Am Legend (Richard Matheson)85. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)86. Steppenwolf (Herman Hesse)87. The Wind in the Willows (Kenneth Grahame)88. Middlemarch (George Eliot)89. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)90. David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)91. Gulliver’s Travels (Jonathan Swift)92. Cat’s Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)93. Anne of Green Gables (LM Montgomery)94. The Inferno (Dante)95. High Fidelity (Nick Hornby)96. Charlotte’s Web (EB White)97. His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)98. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)99. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)100. Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransome

Post # 6
    584 posts
    Busy bee

17/100. I didn’t like Dracula very much…I thought it was soooo sloooow. I vaguely remember writing a paper in college about how vampires are sensual/sexual–I wonder if that’s where Stephanie Meyer got the idea for Twilight?

Post # 7
    2135 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

1. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
    2. Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
    Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
    12. War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
    16. Dracula (Bram Stoker)
    18. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
    25. The Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)
    26. The Bible (Various)
    27. Emma (Jane Austen)
    32. Little Women (Lousia May Alcott)
    39. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
    51. Hamlet (William Shakespeare)
    59. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)
    60. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
    69. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
    74. Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
    83. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
    85. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
    89. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
    94. The Inferno (Dante)
    96. Charlotte’s Web (EB White)
    99. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

I’m surprised that is all that I’ve read. 22/100

Post # 8
    1526 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I am at 23/100.

I am actually surprised to see both Fear and Loathing and American Psycho on the list.  I loved both books but always thought they were more cult-favorite.  American Psycho was one of the most disturbing books I have ever read.  It is the only book that ever gave me a physical reaction!  I almost vomited at one part!!

Post # 10
    5797 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2011

@Mrs.KMM: One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is soo good. I have tried reading A Clockwork Orange several times but I always get tired of trying to remember their slang.

Post # 11
    5572 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

@Mrs.KMM:I was definitely thinking about that!! I’m actually surprised that some of these didn’t come up yesterday. As soon as I was reading down the list I kept thinking “Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that one!”

Post # 12
    6512 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

Exactly 30.  I’m going to work on that! 🙂

@LGenz: Catch-22 is my absolute favorite as well.

Post # 13
    2410 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I can’t believe The Time Traveller’s Wife made that list. Weird.

Post # 15
    1022 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

34/100.

People are so surprised to learn that The Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book. I love it!

Post # 16
    2154 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

58! I’ve got to say, whoever wrote that list likes their Brit Lit… and their Brit Lit dystopias… and should have included more pre-19th c. stuff.

The topic ‘Spinoff: 100 Books to Read Before You Die’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors