(Closed) Spinoff: How would you handle winning $476,000,000?

posted 6 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
5475 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would not tell anyone if I won a huge jackpot.  My family lacks any sense of financial responsibility & I’m not going to have a bunch of people mooching off me.  I’d pay off my mortgage, pay off student loans, donate a shit ton of cash to some local animal rescue groups, and invest a lot.

I’d help my family, but I’d never tell them the full amount I won.  I’d also probably build a sweet house. 

Post # 4
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I honestly don’t even know. I most likely would either crap my pants or have a heart attack. Or both simultaneously.

Post # 5
5797 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

@Legallyblondiebride:  Pretty much this exactly

I would worry about our families feeling like they have a “right” to our money. Not our parents, they are wonderful people. More like shady cousins thinking I should take them on vacation.

Post # 6
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’d only tell my family if I won that much money… I wouldn’t go on the news or anything like that. I’d make sure my family for generations to come is taken care of but I’d probably spend A TON OF IT… I’d waste so much money if I had that much… lol Funny thing is I’d still have a smaller sized house (just closer to the beach- like right ON the beach). Things would be easier for us but not a lot would change- I’d just go shopping every day instead of window shopping everyday, and spend more time with my love. I like to think we may buy a cruise ship and travel with family and friends once in a while… I mean seriously who wouldn’t want to come to our ship for Christmas and go somewhere warm for the week!? LOL

Post # 7
1340 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I’d claim it in a state like Delaware where it doesn’t have to be reported to the public.

Post # 8
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

I wouldn’t want it to be public, that’s for sure!

After setting aside plenty for my family and future kids, I would want to up various endowments. I was fortunate enough to receive a lot of scholarships in college, and I would want to help other students in return. A $10million endowment making 1% interest would give $100,000 a YEAR!

I would donate a large chunk to my program at college to help them continue to be on of the best in the nation. I’d probably also set up endowments at local high schools for graduating seniors.

Another thing I’d like to do is set up funds for young farmers to buy capital goods like machinery, feed, and animals.

And then the usual, donate chunks everytime someone is doing a relay for life, awareness thing as well as charities that are important to me.

Oh, and I’d pay off the rest of the contract on my family’s farm and probably pay whatever my brother would have to purchase when he takes over!

Post # 9
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Is it pathetic that my first thought would be “yay, we can pay off our student loan debt!”?

Post # 10
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

First thing we’d do is pay off all of our debt and then buy a house. After that, I would give as much away to charity as possible and save the rest for living expenses. I would only tell my Mom if we won in order to give her some of the money so she can finally retire.

Post # 11
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’d also finish writing my books, open a store and sell my art and photography and give the owners of neato burrito a huge sum of money if they agreed to expand their shops to wherever we live. lol

Post # 12
Hostess
16195 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I agree. I’d take care of my husband and me in terms of buying a house, cars, and paying off student loan debt. I’d save a ton for our future potential kids. I’d give a lot to my parents and my in-laws, buy my brother a house, and pay for my sister-in-law’s schooling.

I’d find someone to teach me about investing, because I know nothing.

I’d donate a lot to our church and to charities.

Oh, and my husband and I would go on a serious vacation. 🙂

Post # 14
1767 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

We would end up donating a lot of it. Darling Husband wants to give money to the wrestling program he went through when he was younger, and I’d love to give to my high school speech team so that no one has to pay in order to compete. But we could run both of those programs for a century and not even TOUCH our winnings, so we would also give substantial amounts to organizations we believe in like the Human Rights Campaign, Wounded Warriors Project, Red Cross, NOW, etc.

We would buy cars and houses for both sets of parents and pay them off completely, but that would be pretty much the extent of helping them (both of our parents are HORRIBLE with money and we could see them mooching off of us big time…)

We would pay for all of our siblings to go to college.

And I would start my own portable business, make my own hours, and travel A LOT. Darling Husband would stay in the military because he loves it, so we would probably also make it a point to live directly on the beach at each of our duty stations and then when we PCS, we’d rent it for SUPER cheap to other military families.

Post # 15
3374 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’d quit my job THAT DAY.

Buy myself a big home with land and a 3 car garage (read- about 2-3 million in my area).

Buy DH’s parents a nice second home that they’ve always dreamed about.

Lots of expensive vacations where I stay in the Ritz and other 5 star hotels…

Post # 16
2414 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

The FIRST thing I’d do is go to an attorney and collect the money in a blind trust. I wouldn’t want anyone to know that I won the money…

I would pay off my parents homes and my brothers student loans and give them a share of money. I would pay off all of Fiance and mine’s debt and we’d move into a wonderful 5-7 million dollar home in Downtown Boston (our forever home)

That’s it. I’d figure out how to save it/invest it and go from there. Likely purchase a couple vacation homes and continue working (part-time.) I would also get very involved in charities, specifically around environmental preservation/endangered animals/ and 3rd world healthcare (I’m a nurse) and spend most my time doing that.

I certainly wouldn’t be a jackass who would blow it all.

The topic ‘Spinoff: How would you handle winning $476,000,000?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors