- Running Elley
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: June 2011
@slicey19: Okay, that’s pretty funny. You win!
I got 2nd and 3rd degree burns making icing a few months ago. Yep. I was making italian meringue buttercream, so basically you make this molten syrup with sugar and water, when it reaches 238*F you add a bit to a meringue you’ve made in another bowl. I’ve done it a million times, no issues. This time I was all excited because I wanted to use my new (bigger) KitchenAid. I didn’t realize it, but the whisk attachment sort of sticks up at the top, vs my older/smaller one where the whisk is fully immersed in the bowl. So there I am, pouring a cup of 238* molten sugar in my mixer, and the whisk hits the bottom of the cup and sprays it EVERYWHERE. On my face, my arms, my cabinets, everywhere. I kinda screamed in surprise, not because it hurt. I splashed cold water on myself and went to the bathroom to see what I had done. It didn’t look so bad. Then as a little time passed, I thought maybe I should call Telehealth (you can talk to a registered nurse for free). She advised me to go to the hospital immediately. I had second degree burns on my arm, and 3rd degree on my face. I still have scars on my arm that I hate, but they’re not super noticeable to anyone but me I think, although I am self concious about them. Thankfully the one on my face is gone. My family says I have to wear a welders mask when I make icing from now on. So stupid. LOL! I finally just got the last of the rock hard molten sugar off my kitchen cabinets yesterday. Seriously.
haha not too long ago, I made a simple recipe which involves cooking a block of brie cheese inside some pastry dough (and spreading raspberry preserves on top….yumm!)
I bought a different kind of brie than usual and accidentally cooked the brie inside the dough WITH the paper still around the brie. LOL major cooking fail! I didn’t realize it until after I cut it open and was like, “Hmm what is this?” Luckily due to the grease from the cheese, it was pretty easy to just slide the paper off and still eat it. =p
I make excellent desserts and cakes but when it comes to real food I’m a disaster. My most recent fail was setting fire to a hash brown I was trying to heat up on the stove. Another was when I was microwaving some rice and it exploded everywhere. One time I was eating a cheese filled sausage Fiance had cooked and it squirted all over the wall – everywhere! The stain is still there and I’ve tried everything to get it out. I failed at eating. 🙁
@accorn: I managed to overcook the eggs in the “basket” but I loved it otherwise and will make it again-but watch the timing, of course.
@pinky44: I used to have the same problem with rice and here’s my solution: I take one cup of jasmine rice (just my personal fav) and combine it with two cups of a water/chicken broth solution (half and half) in a casserole dish. Put a lid on it and microwave for 10 minutes, then let sit for 10 minutes. Perfect fluffy rice every time.
@bakerella: I’m so glad you’re okay-that must have been awful! But i have to say that it is a mark of a good chef to have scars and burns:) But thank God it didn’t ruin your face:)
This one isn’t mine, but Darling Husband made me fried chicken and mashed potatoes once when we first started dating. The potatoes were so weird tasting and the texture made me gag. I asked him how he prepared them, and he said they were too thin, so he dumped in the leftover flour from breading the chicken. Yuck!
Once I tried to make shredded chicken enchiladas, and left them in the oven for too long. The dried out and shrank, sticking to the bottom of the pan.
@PutABirdOnIt: The stuff that hit my face was one blob that landed up near my hairline and slid down my forehead to my eyebrow. Thank god it didn’t spray in my eye, I don’t even want to think about it. I called Darling Husband crying after it happened (I actually laughed at first, but when I called Telehealth I think it sunk in what had happened and I started crying) and I kept telling him how dumb I felt, and he said to me “Babe, a butcher gets cut and a baker gets burnt. This was bound to happen at some point!” The worst part was that I was doing the icing for cupcakes for a friend’s baby shower the next day. I tried to cover up all my bandages, and I had to wear a bandana covering my forehead, I looked like a bloody pirate and refused to be in any photos. So embarassing.
@.twist.: It was totally my fault. I was too comfortable and not paying attention or thinking about the fact that I was using different equipment. Dumb dumb dumb. My sister told me that she recently saw someone making italian buttercream on tv and they poured the molten sugar in without the whisk running, so if I ever venture to try it again, I’ll do it that way. I stick to Swiss meringue now, far less dangerous 😉
@bakerella: Oh my God, I can’t even imagine sporting that look in public, especially at a baby shower! Everyone probably asked you who kicked the shit out of you. Again, you are soooo lucky. And this is horrible, but I had to laugh at the bloody pirate reference:)
@bakerella: I know! That is the FIRST thing I thought of. I am funny about chicken and making sure it is fully cooked. Honestly, I think I only had one bite before I stopped eating them. One bite, before even thinking about the salmonella, was all I could do. They tasted like spicy glue.
The topic ‘Spinoff: I F’ed up “_______” ……(Share your cooking fails!)’ is closed to new replies.