(Closed) Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: If your wedding invitations read that your wedding is at 5:00 p.m...
    You expect to be walking down the aisle at 5:00...or very close to that. : (35 votes)
    11 %
    You expect the ceremony to start (grandmothers and mothers being seated) at 5:00 : (176 votes)
    58 %
    You would like to start the ceremony at 5:00, but will probably allow 10-15 minutes for latecomers. : (73 votes)
    24 %
    You really plan to start at 5:30, but put 5:00 on the invitations to avoid latecomers. : (21 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 3
    994 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I expect that the ceremony starts at the stated time, and that as a guest, you should be there 15 – 20 minutes earlier than stated time.

Post # 4
    Hostess
    23620 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

I struggled with this one for such a long time, but my venue suggested that for a 6pm ceremony start, our invitations read 5:30.  It seems that there is the least amount of uniformity on this subject!  But it all worked out okay – we ended up telling our guests to arrive between 5:30-5:45 in an email correspondence before the wedding, so that they were aware that the wedding didn’t start at 5:30.

Post # 5
    13099 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

Traditionally, it meant the bride would be walking down the aisle at 5:00.  Now, it means that the ceremony will start at 5:00.

If I get an invite that says 5:00, I’ll be there by 4:30 – 4:45 and I won’t be happy if I’m forced to sit around for 45-60 minutes trying to accomodate rude late-comers.

Post # 6
    270 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2001

I got married at home, and the invites said 6pm.  As soon as it was 6, we locked the doors and put a sign up forl late comers to enter through the back, and started the ceremony.  I was so nervous and I hate to be late so I wanted to start right on time.  I expect the ceremony to start at the time noted on the invite, and I arrive earlier that what it states.

Post # 8
    10288 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

Our invitation says 5:30 and I plan to start as close to that as possible. If we’re waiting on some VIP’s to be seated then I’m fine pushing it back 10 minutes or so but no more than that. Whenever I receive an invitation I always assume that the specified time is when the ceremony will begin so I always arrange to be early (normally 15-30 minutes). To be honest, I HATE when couples “lie” on their invitations. They’re just punishing those who were respectful and on-time (or early). 

Post # 9
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

I always thought it meant the bride’s processional starts at 5:00.  Our invitations said the ceremony started at 4:00, and I walked down the aisle at 4:05, only because of some technical difficulties with the dj and the priest.  Otherwise, it would have been exactly on time.

Post # 10
    3624 posts
    Sugar bee

@Mrs.KMM: Yep! 100% agree.

Post # 11
    4355 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I agree that guests should be there and seated by at least 4:50, I would expect to only start around 5:10-5:15.

Post # 12
    3482 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

While in a perfect world guests would arrive early and the ceremony would start on time, that’s usually not the case. Whether the guests are just inconsiderate and habitually late, or whether unavoidable delays keep some from getting there on time, there will usually be latecomers.

No bride wants to start walking down the aisle only to have Aunt Mildred burst through the doors, dash past her and squeeze past a row of guests to an empty seat whispering, “Sorry, sorry.” So I can kind of understand postponing the start of the wedding to accommodate latecomers, if only to minimize distractions during the ceremony.

Post # 13
    3624 posts
    Sugar bee

@linguo42: LOL. I’m my opinion Aunt Mildred can wait at the flippin door! LOL.

Post # 14
    3482 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

@.twist.: What Aunt Mildred should do and what she will do are two very different things. 😉

Post # 16
    4887 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Our venue opens to the public at 6pm and we are having my bridesmaids start walking at 6:30pm.  Our invites also say 630pm and I’m really hoping that everyone gets there from 6-629pm.

The topic ‘Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors