(Closed) Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?

posted 9 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: If your wedding invitations read that your wedding is at 5:00 p.m...

You expect to be walking down the aisle at 5:00...or very close to that.

You expect the ceremony to start (grandmothers and mothers being seated) at 5:00

You would like to start the ceremony at 5:00, but will probably allow 10-15 minutes for latecomers.

You really plan to start at 5:30, but put 5:00 on the invitations to avoid latecomers.

• Post # 32
    5496 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2010

Our ceremony started at 4:30. I had already planned to walk down the aisle at 4:40 (for the simple reason that people may be late-my wedding coordinator actually suggested this since people are always late to weddings) and that time of 4:40 worked fine for us. (20 min ceremony and wanted to be done by 5pm) I’m glad we did this, as 1/4 of the people were late (seriously, out of 60 guests, at least 15 walked into the ceremony room right at 4:30 or 4:35) I know a lot of people say to just walk at the scheduled time, but I’m so glad we did it the way we did!

Post # 33
    2161 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

My invites said 2pm and I walked down the aisle at 2:05pm.

Post # 34
    1920 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I expect weddings to start at the time it states on the invitation. I always make sure I am there 15 minutes early to allow time for seating. I start getting ancy about 5 minutes after the start time. I can’t stand things being late.

Post # 35
    937 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

My Fiance and I are late to everything! Not intentionally it just seems that how it is with us. (I alwayss tell him he is even going to be late to his own funeral. Hee-hee) So my invites will say ceremony to begin at 6 and start 5 to 10mins later. Plus we are having 2-3 soloist sing and a vidoe played before ether of us reach the alter. So even if you are a little late, you don’t miss anything.

Post # 36
    218 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

My Venue is trying to convince me to start 15 minutes after my stated invitation time for those who are late. . . but I really dont want to.  It makes me feel bad for all those people who showed up 30 minutes early.  Then they just have to sit around and wait even longer.

We are planning to start seating Grandparents on the dot at 6PM the time our invites say. 

Post # 37
    1326 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ

View original reply
    @Jenn23: This.

We gave an extra 15 minutes, otherwise there would have been a lot of people waiting outside or coming in when the Wedding Party was walking down the aisle. My DOC said we could start right on time, but people were still pretty steadily arriving, so I told her to start 15 after. I think if your guests are all there on time, great, start. It didn’t work like that for my wedding. 😛

Post # 38
    2 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I expect a ceremony to start at the time on the invite, although I know most expect it to start at least 15 minutes later due to late comers.  I am always there at least 20 minutes before the noted start time on the card.

I sent an email telling everyone that my ceremony would begin promptly at 10.  I also told them to give themselves plenty of time to get there and to allow for more time than they think (I got married at Disney World and that place is huge).  I had a girlfriend say she was glad that I said that because she would’ve shown up at 10.  Everyone was there in plenty of time and we started the procession right on time (not that I would’ve waited for any late comers anyways.  DH knows me and knows his family and told them all, including his mother, that if she wasn’t on time we weren’t waiting…)

Post # 39
    573 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

If I got an invitation that said 5, I would assume that I should arrive by 4:30, and plan for parents and grandparents to be seated at 5. 

Post # 40
    964 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I’m having my ceremony and reception at the same venue and we have to be out by 11.  My intent is to start at 4:30 but I think I’m going to put 4:15 on my invitations to give the late comers a chance to get there.  I am having a cocktail hour before and after the ceremony so it’s not like people are just going to be sitting there.  I told my Fiance he better be there on time because at 4:30 with or without him I will be walking down the aisle

Post # 41
    1363 posts
    Bumble bee

The only invitation I can remember the time of said “12.30, for 1”, which makes perfect sense to me, and is what I would probably write on my own invitations, too.

Post # 42
    4192 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

We’re listing 6pm, and I expect to be walking down the aisle at 6:05 or so. I would not hold up the ceremony for anyone except our parents or my groom. I expect our venue to open at 5:30 for guests- if I were the guest, that’s when I’d plan to be there.

Post # 43
    444 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

To avoid this perhaps say that the ceremony will start promptly at 5 to hint everyone GET THERE EARLY lol

Post # 44
    315 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 1997

@Neva:  As a minister I receive many wedding invites as a courtesy. When a couple tells their family & friends that the ceremony is to start at 5 pm. Then I make sure I am ready at 5 p.m. to officiant their ceremony. I expect to start the actual ceremony with the wedding party walking down the aisle starting at 5 p.m. Time is something that is very important to me.

If I am a guest at a wedding I arrive 15 to 30 minutes prior to the time stated on the wedding invite. As I said before I believe time is very important. In my view of the world, time and respect go hand in hand.

Post # 45
    47451 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I would expect the ceremony to start at 5 pm but I would not be surprised if it didn’t.

Post # 46
    672 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I put “5pm SHARP” so people know to get there by 5! We will probably start 5-10 minutes late due to people who do not follow SHARP!

The topic ‘Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors