(Closed) Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?

posted 8 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: If your wedding invitations read that your wedding is at 5:00 p.m...
    You expect to be walking down the aisle at 5:00...or very close to that. : (35 votes)
    11 %
    You expect the ceremony to start (grandmothers and mothers being seated) at 5:00 : (176 votes)
    58 %
    You would like to start the ceremony at 5:00, but will probably allow 10-15 minutes for latecomers. : (73 votes)
    24 %
    You really plan to start at 5:30, but put 5:00 on the invitations to avoid latecomers. : (21 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 47
    1623 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

If it says 5, I plan to get there at 4:30 and in my seat at 4:45. As long as music is playing by 5 or there’s some water/coffee around I’ll be totally fine until about 5:30….at that point I start thinking “hmm we should be getting started now…”

I think it’s a good thing to list an earlier start time to get people there on time.  That said, I think the bride/groom/attendants should keep the start time on the invite in mind as well. Plan to be ready at 5. Please don’t plan to be ready at 5:30 and still putting your finishing touches on at 5:25, because if you’re running even like 15 minutes late, I’ve already been waiting 75 min, and you’ll be super stressed out. Obviously some things can’t be avoided, but when you’re making your “day of” plan, I’d plan to be ready by the start time on the invites so that you have that buffer time and can relax and (hopefully) not end up falling behind.

Post # 48
    2616 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

i plan on walking down the aisle or start walking at 5pm. 5 pm is what our invites said.. we are doing hopefully a 20 minutes ceremony so everyone can get the reception venue on time and have dinner by 6:00/6:15

Post # 49
    75 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

So maybe this is wrong, but as a guest I’d always thought that if it said 5pm, I should be getting seated at 5pm. oops! Last wedding they started it so on time that most of the guests weren’t done being seated because it was such a large wedding (400 guests).

Post # 50
    2965 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

The last wedding Fiance and I went to said the wedding started at 5p. We got there about 15 mins late but was highly upset to find out that the wedding didnt start till 6:05p. The invitation did state 5p. However, at my wedding, we HAVE 4 hrs exactly for the ceremony and reception so we have to start right on time. 

The topic ‘Spinoff – If a wedding invitation says 5:00, what does that mean?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors