(Closed) Spinoff – what home will $200,000 buy you where you live?

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 227
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

One heck of a house!  Our duplex is valued at $64k… granted it’s nothing fancy, but 1k sq ft per side plus garage.  Bus stop across the street and good schools.

For $200k you’d have at least a 4-5 bedroom house and live on the edges of town where the “money” lives.  OR you’d have a really nice but really old and renovated home near downtown at half the size in the “historical district” and be tied to the historical property type rules on what you could do with your house.  Most of these look awesome, but are full of problems (like electrical, plumbing, heating, cooling if you’re lucky).

Post # 228
276 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

In the Boston suburbs? A tiny condo or apartment (~800 square feet) seems to be the only option. Most I could find are in questionable areas.

Post # 229
276 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

View original reply
@crystlrox:  Wow! In my area, that house would be well over $500,000, easily.

It’s so crazy how different things are in different areas!

Post # 230
323 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

This is basically it…a rundown apartment. :S pretty sad but true. Average house costs about $700,000.

Post # 231
1841 posts
Buzzing bee

oh my goodness this thread is facinating. 

Here is a listing I found for around that price point in my town. It is listed a little higher than the price point at 219k, but not bad considering that all of our lumber and EVERYTHING has to come up on a barge in the summer. 

2 bed 2 bath (and an ‘office’) it is actually three small houses combined togther but I woudln’t want to know what the heating cost is in that place as it was built in the 40’s and only has one layer of wood exterior with no foam board or insulation :-/

Post # 232
739 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

In my town (a suburb of Detroit) $200k will get you an old 1,000 sq ft bungalow that is nothing special. Good schools and a safe neighborhood though. 

Post # 234
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

View original reply
@REchick:  I feel you. Housing costs in my area are pretty similar. 🙁

Post # 235
1891 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

This adorable house

Post # 236
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I live in San Francisco and there is absolutely nothing you can buy for $200,000. According to Trulia, the average price of a home for sale in San Francisco is 1.3 Million right now.  

A parking spot sold for $82,000 this past summer, so 200K might get you two parking spots? Insane!

Post # 237
294 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Where I live you can get a 3 to 4 bedroom. If it is old or run down you can get a two bedroom cottage for $130,000.

I live in the country so it is cheaper.   Go to the city and you can buy 3 country properties for 1 property in the city. 

LOL.

Post # 238
576 posts
Busy bee

I wanted to giggle when reading this thread. I remember when we first bought our house and were remodeling I had serious sticker shock at the Northern, Canadian and Californian real estate markets on the shows on HGTV. I was so surprised at the prices! 

We bought ours for way under 200,000. 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 levels and over 2,500 sq feet. Around 1 acre of land, 2 car garage and as a bonus in a country club. To be fair though, our house had not been updated at all (with the exception of the master bath) since 1979, which is why it sat on the market for two years and we practically stole it. After reno its probably right around 200k, maybe a little more. 

We also live in a southern suburb of Atlanta, and the south burbs are much, much cheaper. A lot of my friends that grew up in the city consider me to live in the country. It probably is too, I grew up just south of downtown and there’s a definite lifestyle difference between there and here. Its no more than 25-30 minutes from midtown which is about how long it took me when I lived close to it. Now I spend more time speeding and less time in traffic so it actually ‘feels’ more efficient.

Post # 240
613 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
@AlmostMrsShield:  You in Sydney or Canberra? Sounds very familiar!

In Canberra $200k won’t even get you in the market, unless you want a crappy bedsit.

In Hobart (my hometown), $200k will get a reasonable 3 bedroom house in the ‘burbs, which are less than 15k frm the city.

I hate Canberra. 🙁

Post # 241
243 posts
Helper bee

I am in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs, near Bondi, and $200,000 wouldn’t even buy you a parking space. The apartment next to us, which is a 2 bed, 1 bath, 1 car space, just sold for $800,000. Craziness. Sydney’s property market will have to implode sooner. Our rent just went up to $740 PER WEEK! 

The topic ‘Spinoff – what home will $200,000 buy you where you live?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors