(Closed) Spring 2012 Babies- Birth Stories

posted 9 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 46
2560 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

View original reply
@miss-spunkin:  Congratulations! Your little guy is a cutie!

Post # 47
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Congrats to you both!!!!!!

Post # 48
4038 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

View original reply
@miss-spunkin:  I’m SO GLAD everything turned out well, and you were happy with your birth experience, even though it wasn’t exactly what you were anticipating it being. And Jacobi is a total cutie, congratulations mama!

Post # 49
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

View original reply
@miss-spunkin:  Congratulations on your beautiful boy! Despite some hurdles, your story is amazing! So happy for you and your DH!

Post # 50
959 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Ok, I probably only have a few minutes but I wanted to quickly write up my story! I’m definitely leaving out a lot of details in this but it’s so long anyway, I apologize. 

On Tues, 2/28, I started having period-like contractions every 20 minutes. By dinner time, they were fairly strong, and there was no way I could sleep that night. We ended up heading in when I thought they were about 5-6 minutes apart. The triage nurse unfortunately sent us home, saying that they were 7-8 minutes apart and what she would call “mild to moderate.” I was only 1 cm dilated too. I was so mad at her! She said to return when they were 4 min apart for 2 hours. We went home and tried to sleep (I got maybe 2 minutes every 8 minutes). It was a long night…

The next day they were even stronger, but still ranging from 6 min apart to 12 minutes apart. I used a lot of my labor support techniques, but I was going nuts. There was a lot of crying somewhere between Tuesday night after being sent home, and when I actually delivered Thurs night. I was sure I’d be pregnant and contracting forever! Finally, at like 4am on Wednesday night, the contractions got to be 5-6 minutes apart for over an hour. I had a few incredibly intense ones that left me writhing in the bed, so we decided to just go in. We were pretty sure we’d be sent home again though. 

Of course it was the same nurse, and my contractions slowed a bit by the time she was monitoring them (6-7 min apart) and she told me she doubted I’d made any progress and thought we’d be in the same position as last night. She checked me anyway and THANK GOD, i was 2 cm. She either hated me as much as I did her, or took a turn of attitude and took pity on me, but she decided to talk to the doctor about giving me fluids (she thought I was dehydrated) and pain meds so I could sleep for a bit and hopefully help my body stop fighting itself. She thought I was just so exhausted and frustrated at that point that my body just wasn’t kicking into gear. She also informed me this is called prodromal labor, and that sometimes women can be in the early stages of labor for upwards of a week! 

We then caught a few hours of sleep in the triage room. By some miracle of miracles, I was 3cm when they checked me again. The doctor kind of left it up to me, and said the baby was still very high and if I wanted an Epi, I had a high chance of ending up with a c-section. The other choice was to go home and get further along before coming back. They didn’t want to induce me since I was only “at” my due date, not past it. I said I did plan on an Epi, but I could wait it out and do everything I could to get further along before I got it but I couldn’t imagine going back home. He then agreed and they admitted me to L&D. I honestly have never been happier! I was going to have the baby today! 

My nurse was AMAZING- she helped me for several hours, walking and using the ball, helping the baby descend. Meanwhile my contractions started getting a lot stronger and closer together, all on their own! After only a few hours, I was dilated to a 5. The doctor said the baby had dropped a lot too, and I could now get an epi any time. I walked a little more, but I was having unbearable back pain (She was sunny-side up) so finally I got the epidural. It was my godsend and even though I was terrified of them, I am so glad I got it. (SERIOUS kudos to those that don’t get them, I have NO IDEA how you could ever do that!) It did kind of suck to then have to labor in bed, but oh well. The next several hours were spent trying to move things along from various positions in bed. I ended up getting kind of stuck at 8 cm, and there was some swelling in my cervix, so the doctor said if I didn’t relieve that, get baby to drop more, and make progress, he was going to ‘call it’ (c-section). My nurse helped me do all-fours for literally an hour, and when I was re-checked, I was fully dilated, baby had dropped, and the swelling had gone down! YAY! I can’t even express how stressful this whole thing was. I kept thinking, I’d gone through 3 days of labor now and was going to end up with a c-section anyway..FML! 

Finally, I was pushing.. I pushed for 2.5 hours. Toward the end, the doc wanted to use forceps and asked if I thought I’d be able to push for the 15 minutes or so he thought I had left. I said of course I could.. I didn’t want him to use forceps. Pushing was really hard but nothing nearly as bad as the contractions had been. I’d be happy to say more on that topic if anyone is interested… it was definitely different than I expected and there’s a ton I could say but I’ll leave that out for now. 

A few scary things happened during pushing though… her HR kept dropping with every push (to the 60’s), and no one was explaining that to us.. we were assuming for ourselves it meant only bad things, obviously. They had me on oxygen in between every push “to help baby out.” I was really displeased with this doctor (my doc’s partner) for not explaining more but they seemed to have the attitude of not wanting to scare me with too much information. Anyway, I also developed a fever, and I forgot to mention that when they broke my waters, there was a lot of meconium in it- likely from the long labor. They called in special care for the baby and right before she came out, we were told that if she didn’t breathe, she’d be taken up to the NICU and she’d be on watch for several days. Turns out they didn’t want her to breathe though, so she didn’t breathe in the meconium, but no one really explained that to us. They were concerned about my fever too and didn’t really say why (turns out they then monitored baby for sepsis). I honestly don’t even remember what else they said about things at this point, I was too terrified. 

Anyway, baby E finally came out at 11:55pm on 3/1/12- just in the knick of time to be a due date baby! They whisked her away though and DH and I were terrified. He didn’t get to cut the cord, no one said anything to us for what felt like ever while they were checking out the baby.. she wasn’t crying for awhile. At some point during this, DH told me he saw that she was a girl. Honestly, I’d forgotten all about finding that out, I was so worried about everything! But it was awesome to hear I’d been right with my gut feeling all along 🙂 She finally started crying, and DH was over there taking pictures while I was being stitched up (I had 2 1st degree tears). I finally got to hold her and honestly, it was the coolest thing EVER. I’ve never been happier. 

So, all in all, it wasn’t the best labor process, but it’s behind me and that’s all that matters. I was a bit upset that my birth plan went out the window… no delayed cord clamping, had to get some pitocin after my epi, got my epi earlier than I wanted to, etc. etc.. But it is SO TRUE to just expect the unexpected and roll with the punches. I was honestly so miserable by my 3rd day of labor that whatever they thought I needed, I ended up being fine with. 

We’re totally and completely in love with our baby girl! It’s definitely hard, I’d say breastfeeding is giving me the biggest problem right now, and lack of sleep is tough, but it’s totally worth it. I’m so excited for all the rest of you spring mama’s to go through this! 🙂 

Post # 51
1263 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  Thanks so much for sharing!  Glad baby E is healthy…sounds like a crazy labor, kudos for getting through it!!

Post # 52
1263 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

View original reply
@miss-spunkin:  Congratulations!  LOVE his name : )

Post # 53
7286 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  Awww! Wow! Thank you for sharing. Congrats on a healthy baby girl!! Enjoy motherhood 🙂

Post # 54
1675 posts
Bumble bee

Wow, sounds like such a roller coaster ride.  I’m so happy that you and baby are doing fine now.  Don’t beat yourself up over the changes to your birth plan.  We’re putting ours together right now, but I’ve already decided that in the event of a very long labor a lot of our plan might get thrown out the window. I have a small idea of what hours of pain might mean from doing endurance sports, and let’s just say that running a marathon for 3 straight days with no outside assistance from drugs sounds pretty much impossible. 

Congrats mama, and enjoy your baby girl!!!

Post # 55
2140 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  

Congrats! Go mama!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

I’m so mad for you that the hospital and doctor was so uncommunicative!! Honestly I fear that more than not adhering to our “birth plan”. I’m ready to roll with the punches but I need to know what’s going on!

Post # 56
5495 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

All right. I had a pretty quick labor, for the most part but I am excited to share my birth story with you!

On Saturday 3/03 I woke up at 3:50 am with contractions that were pretty painful. I got up and went pee only to have my bloody show. I immeadiatly had a feeling that I was in labor, so I sent my manager a message because I was scheuled to work at 12:45.

At 5:30 I got in the shower to try and ease some pain. My contactions were between 3 and 7 minuets apart. After the shower I decided to get DH and try walking our dog. At 7 am I called L&D to explain why I thought I was in labor. She told me to drink more water and lay down and to call back once they were closer together. They also said my prenatal appointment the day before was causing the cramps.

I drank the water, and tried to lay down and sleep. It didnt help, so I decided to try the yoga ball. at about 10 I called again. They told me the same thing and informed me since I was a week shy of my due date, that it was false labor and that I needed to lay down and not move. And if I felt like I neeed to go in, not to call until I was going to do so.

DH and I decided that it was bs and they were trying to stop my labor for no good reason. So we decided of all things to go to the mall so we could walk around and try to get it going. So we spent time getting reay for that.

We ate lunch at the mall, and as soon as I went to get up, I couldn’t because the contractions hurt so bad. It was about 3pm when I called L&D to tell them I was going in.

When we got there, I had a contraction, go sick, and threw up. Because I had diareha with my bloody show, they told me it was the flu. The Doctor on duty wouldn’t come in past the curtain and the nurse was really mean. When she checked me I was only 2cm. She told me they were going to hook me up to an IV to hydrate me and that contractions would probably stop then I’d be sent home.

At 6pm I was dialated to 3 and the nurse was convinced that I might actually be in labor, but told me, “Dr. Fine still doesn’t believe you’re in labor.” At that time my contractions were so bad I was crying.

At 730 the shifts changed and we got the nicest nurse ever. Dr. Fine went in then and checked me again. When he announced that I was at 4.5 I almost cried with happiness because I was official admitted and they let me have the epidural. After that, I was able to sleep.

At 11 pm they broke my water, and at 2:30 am I was dialated to 10. I didn’t feel the urge to push, so they let her labor down. around 3:20 they brought everything in the room and got situated.

My nurse then asked me about doing some pushes to see how I would do. Well, once I got going it was easy.

My epidural wore off right as it was time to push, but pushing did not hurt as bad as the contractions. haha.

After 30 minuets of pushing and an epistotomy (sp?) Vivian Faye was born at 4:09 am. She was 6lbs 12 oz and 21 inches long.

Post # 58
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  Congratulations on your perfect little girl, and on dealing with such a difficult  birth.  You did a great job, momma!

View original reply
@His Barista:  Vivian is beautiful!!!!  Congrats!

Post # 59
2560 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  I am glad everything worked out okay, and baby is well! Meconium aspiration syndrome is no joke (and I go to meconium deliveries almost every shift in the NICU). It is too bad no one explained things to you. When I attend deliveries I always explain what the plan is with the baby, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t … I always figure people want the info!

View original reply
@His Barista:  Congratulations on your LO!

Post # 60
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

View original reply
@AvantLaLettre:  yay congrats!!! RE: HR thing…my cousin went through same thing & her child is now a 1yr old and my cousin still to this day hasn’t forgiven her DR. for not explaining to her why the HR was going down or the concern behind it….the worry of it ruined her labor:( I am so so glad you are happy with baby….despite the doctor’s lack of communication

The topic ‘Spring 2012 Babies- Birth Stories’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors