Spring/Summer 2021 Infertility

posted 2 months ago in TTC
Post # 212
553 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2019

Hi bees. I was on the boards for a while until a few months back but took a break from all things TTC whilst we were waiting for treatment to start. The break did my mental health a world of good. I’m sorry to see some of you are still here. I was super hopeful for you to have “graduated”. I hope it’s ok for me to jump back in half way through the board.

Our back story… we conceived on cycle 1 but our baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 at 14 weeks which led to a tfmr in June 2019. After 8 months of trying with no luck I pushed my GP to start testing as I felt something was off. We were really lucky to be referred to a consultant in March 2020 (technically we didn’t meet the nhs criteria but they were concerned about scarring etc as I’d had surgery). I believe I had a chemical that month. Then covid happened… fast forward to March 2021 and a year of dragged out testing has shown that everything looks fine my end but we have severe MFI (less than 4 mil total count confirmed by 3 separate SAs). This blindsided us and I still can’t quite get my head around it given our history.

We were eventually referred for IVF with ICSI and have our first appt at the clinic on Monday. Sadly it’s a different clinic to the one we’ve been at for the last year so different Dr.  My understanding is that we will go over all medical history again and then set out a treatment plan before meeting with the nurse in the next few weeks. As soon as the dates line up we’ll start cycle 1.

I know there is a whole host of experience on here so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or must ask questions that they’d wished they’d known going in. It’s been such a long time coming, and I have done endless research, but I suddenly feel overwhelmed.

Post # 213
819 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Hi 

View original reply
@mrsw88:  welcome back. I haven’t been very active on the board either because I’m just waiting around for surgery, but I check in/ read updates every few days. 

I’m sorry it’s been such a long drawn out process, but I’m excited for you to move forward. I would ask if the clinic would be willing to do a fresh or frozen transfer? If you are doing PGA testing, how long does it take? If you are doing frozen, can you transfer the month after retrieval, or do they want to wait a month? 

AFM, I have a new surgery date! July 22! It’s definitely farther away than what I was hoping, but I’m just relieved I have an answer and a date. I’ll then have to wait 3 months after surgery to transfer, so I’m actually consulting a couple doctors to get different opinions to make the most of my next transfer. 

Post # 214
301 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@mrsw88:  welcome back to the board.. sorry you have to be here but this journey is along one so why not make some friends along the way. I am really sorry to hear about your loss and your journey so far. It’s frustrating and Covid on top of it all does not help.  Regarding your question For my first visit I did have some questions but honestly we just gave them all the info we had and basically we just said tell us what to do and we’ll do it.  I really liked our first visit, we had some test to still do, we discussed some options and basically jumped right into it. But that moment it was like creating this new team (dh + me + doc) to finally reach this common goal.

ok bees as for me my little emby made it to blast!! I got the call Thursday morning and I was so in shock I made the doc repeat it a few times until it registered haha. It was an early blast but quality was AA so that was super exciting! So it was graded as a 1AA blast but embryologist figured mid day it would reach at least a 3 and so on, so we went ahead with the transfer. Hopefully it will keep growing and implant 🙂 

Doc said should implant within next two days so to take it easy but honestly work wise it’s really hard and already had to do a lot and it’s only been 24 hours. On the other hand I’ve barely had a chance to think about it so that’s good too. Testing day will be next Saturday 😬😬😬

Post # 215
301 posts
Helper bee

Oh and funny thing happened during the transfer, embryo decided to stick around in the catheter so it came back to the dish (after the transfer they inspect it to make sure it’s clear and long and behold there it was!). So they had to put it back in. One of the nurse said it is definitely a sticky baby 😁 

Post # 216
553 posts
Busy bee

Hi 

View original reply
@itsme1987:  I’m sorry to still see you here but I’m glad you’ve got a surgery date and are working out your next steps in the mean time. July 22nd will be here in no time but the wait is harddd and I’m sure it feels a while away. I really hope you get some good advice and feel optomistic moving forwards with the next transfer post surgery. 

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately we aren’t eligible for PGS testing under the NHS and you can’t combine/add on things privately so unless we exhaust the NHS rounds we get we won’t be doing it. It makes me anxious because our loss was due to a chromosomal abnormality (albeit supposedly a random one). Fresh transfer as long as nothing goes wrong 🤞

View original reply
@latebloomerbee78:  I feel so ready to move forward and love the idea of it feeling like a new team. So far the clinic have been great over the phone so I’m excited to meet them.

I’m so glad you got to go ahead with the transfer… I’ll keep everything crossed for you and your sticky baby ❤️

Post # 218
499 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@latebloomerbee78:  I have one frozen 5AA at RMA untested. 3 frozen Abnormals and 5 untested with Jeff Wang. I’m going to keep retrieving until with my Surrogate gets pregnant or I give up. 

Post # 219
553 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@Charliejeorge:  thank you, I really appreciate how welcoming this board is. July will be here in no time but I feel your pain with the waiting. Have you found anything to help distract yourself in the meantime?

Our initial appointment went really well. The dr went over the ICSI process in more detail and was really patient in answering all my questions. She has given me the details for the inhouse counsellor as I struggle with medical procedures post tfmr and was just really reassuring overall. She has given us a ~50% success rate and although I’m trying to manage my expectations I’m optimistic. I’m now waiting for the nurse to contact me to go over meds etc and line up dates. It feels crazy that it’s all actually happening 😬

Post # 220
301 posts
Helper bee

I’m a few days from testing and I’m feeling deflated. I kinda screwed up the day after the transfer and worked way more than I should (12+ hours ugh) when we had said I wouldn’t at all (it’s our own business so it’s hard to just sit around). It’s kinda the reason summer is not a good time to plan anything because it’s high season for us. Anyway I didn’t lift or anything, just long hours and the stress associated with it. Ugh just feel I didn’t give it a chance. I do have cramping but I had that last time (with my bfn) so I’ve come to the conclusion that progesterone is just mean!

Post # 221
301 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@mrsw88:  I am glad your appointment went well!  It’s good to know from now on forward eeverything is with a plan and a reason. It lifts weight off your shoulders and takes away a lot of the guessing. Wish you best of luck! 

Post # 222
553 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@latebloomerbee78:  urgh I’m sorry you aren’t feeling optimistic. I think for most people it’s impossible to just drop everything and rest entirely so try not to beat yourself up over working. You say you weren’t doing anything strenuous so it seems HIGHLY unlikely it will have had a detrimental effect. I really hope your cramping is a positive sign and this is it for you. When are you testing? I’m keeping everything crossed for you in the meantime. 

Post # 224
553 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@Charliejeorge:  The odds were higher than I expected but I’m trying not to get to ahead of myself. If the last 2 years have taught me anything it’s that you have no idea what life might throw at you. I swing between “this HAS to work, of course it will” and “why would it work after what happened before”. It messes with your mind so much.

I’m glad you’re keeping busy. Sounds like you have a lot on! I’ve got the summer off (I’m a teacher) so if we do a July/august cycle as palnned I need to keep myself occupied!! We bought our first house earlier in the year so that’s taking up my time for now. 

I hope your thyroid comes back ok and you manage to get to the bottom of what’s causing the other issues. It’s seems to be the way, nothing happens then it all happens at the same time. 🤞 for some answers for you.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors