(Closed) Stage Fright & Gift opening…….

posted 8 years ago in Parties
Post # 3
2867 posts
Sugar bee

Yeah I can sympathize.  I won’t be opening gifts in front of people b/c of this.  Too bad, so sad, not doing it.

Post # 4
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

That’s one reason I’m glad I didn’t have a shower.  I don’t really want people staring at me opening gifts!

Post # 5
7081 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

Um, yeah…  I get this really bad.  Work threw a surprise baby shower for me yesterday and as I began opening presents, I suddenly found myself shaking!

I thought I had gotten over this with my bridal shower, post wedding gift opening and my regular baby shower, but apparently not.

Yesterday, I just explained to everyone that I was suddenly really nervous and overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity, so they had to forgive me for my nervousness!

Post # 6
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I wish I had a good tip for you, but I don’t. I get nervous in situations like this, too.  For some reason, when more than two people are looking at me at one time, it feels like an ambush…

Post # 7
5262 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m the same way. I get stupid nervous in front of people. I hate it! No tips, but maybe have a glass of wine if it’s not too early? That always calms my nerves a bit.

Post # 8
2404 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

yeah me too!!! i get really nervous (i think i hide it well though). Thats one of the reasons i want my Fiance there at the shower so both of us are opening up the present, not just me. he’ll take some of the pressure and awkwardness out of it 🙂

Post # 9
359 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

We will definitely have some alcohol at my shower – not only for me, but I think it will get everyone socializing more (less focus on me!)

Make sure you have background music playing – the silence/quiet is the most terrifying part to me.

Consider Bridal Shower Bingo – again, takes some focus off you and makes the atmosphere a little more fun. 

Have your bridal party or mom sit/stand with you where you’re opening presents (at least then you wont be the only one front and center & these are the people who should help calm your nerves – maybe warn them ahead of time & encourage them to talk/react to presents to help you feel comfortable). 

Rather than have separate times for food/snacks & present opening – open your presents while your guests are eating, again they’ll have something more than you to focus on (or atleast serve the cake during gift time!)

Hope that helps – Most brides seem to be nervous about this, so at least now you know you’re not alone!

Post # 10
803 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

IM not a shy person AT ALL but i HATE HATE HATE opening gifts in front of people.  christmas gives me an anxiety attack! 

for my shower, my mom came up with a good idea.  since it was a farily large shower, and lets face it, it takes too long to open gifts, she and my Maid/Matron of Honor will sit on either side of me and we’ll all open gifts together.

another thing ive heard of is making it into a game.  everyone in the whole party sits in a circle (or somewhat of a cirlce) and every one gets some one elses gift.  you undo one thing on the gift (untie the bow, undo one tape) and then pass it to the person next to you until they make it all the way aroudn the circle.  eveyone votes on best and worst wrapped and those two get a prize!

Post # 11
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Find ways to encourage people to talk amongst themselves. Most people do this naturally at bridal showers. At any given time only a few people will be looking to see what you got (bridal bingo might put more focus on you). Depending on where you are having it, you could have a table with photos that people can guess how old you or your FH are in them, or have a quiz of questions about you and your FH and encourage people to share information (e.g. “where did they meet?” “where do you think they’ll go on their honeymoon?”).

Post # 12
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Somebody just gave me the idea to have the funniest, most outgoing person at the shower sit next to you. That way everyone, including you, is a little bit distracted from you. I think I’ll try that!

The topic ‘Stage Fright & Gift opening…….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors