StarsGem 2019 projects and inspiration board

posted 5 months ago in Rings
Post # 481
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m so disappointed. I’ve been working with Lucy at Starsgem. In my first text to her, I told her I wanted “4-5 carat custom cut Emerald cut center stone. I can’t decide which size to get.” We went back and forth and I said 4-5 carat 10×8 (because I thought this was ratio and not the actual size.) 

I confirmed with her multiple times because I never saw anywhere the carat size (because this is moissanite and I am dumb and haven’t done enough research-even though I’ve spent hours stalking this thread) and kept confirming all the specs “4-5 custom emerald cut with baguettes”, etc etc. Well 30 minutes after I confirmed production, I saw a post on reddit of an emerald that was “4 carat 9×11” and it hit me. I reached out to Lucy immediately and she said there was nothing that could be done, that my ring was already in production. Now, 11 days later, no ring, we had to change something on the band that was preventing them to size it right and I kept asking her over and over if I could change it and she says no. I really wanted something more like 9×11. Is it that much to make a real fuss over? I’ve thought about taking screen shots of our conversation and showing Cherry. Last night, Lucy told me my ring would be finished “next week” If they haven’t even started it, I really want to change it. Is it that much trouble? 

Post # 482
86 posts
Worker bee

hm2012 :  yes you are right better to change the CAD until it’s right than have something I won’t be happy with.  I sent her another very detailed email with pictures and the mm I want and specified the pave style on the  shoulders. Hopefully next cad is the final one! Bezzeled stones are beautiful i just don’t want it on this band lol

Post # 483
1245 posts
Bumble bee

ceeceelove :  I had been looking at different side stones for a gemstone project I was working on.  I was thinking of ovals and was looking at earrings on ebay because that is also a good place to find stones that can be repurposed.  I had these .80 carat ovals come up on my reminder list this morning and thought out you because they are a pretty good price for a matched pair. You would definitely need to see some pictures but he has 30 day return.

https://www.ebay.com/i/143326764756?ul_ref=https%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252Fe11011.m43.l3160%252F7%253Feuid%253D8cd41b61e8ca4f94899333b0d0f6da00%2526bu%253D43076587603%2526loc%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fi%25252F143326764756%2526sojTags%253Dbu%253Dbu%2526srcrot%253De11011.m43.l3160%2526rvr_id%253D0%2526rvr_ts%253De66bcd5a16b0a4b55205fb34ffe6daa0&ul_noapp=true

Post # 484
213 posts
Helper bee

angelwaye :   yazmid13 :  Thank you both for suggesting I ask they to do a cad with the two rings together!

I did and they did and in doing so, we found out the curved cluster ring would need a little adjustment. I also asked for the band to be a little thicker, but it looks like I might not have been clear about what I was asking for because they made the band wider but not thicker, but that’s easily fixed.

I can’t even really tell where they said they had to adjust the design a little to make it fit lol I don’t think I have a good eye for any of this stuff at all, which is why I’m just so grateful for all of you on here who are willing to help the rest of us out 😊

Hopefully it still comes out looking something like my inspiration ring 🀞🏻

Post # 485
1245 posts
Bumble bee

Missesinlove :  What is your finger size?  I think you are talking about my emerald. I have to say that 8×10 is still a pretty good size and having it slightly smaller, you are not going to see as much of the double refraction as you get with the really big sizes. It does get hard once they have started the process to change it. It isn’t just because they haven’t started it but they have CAD designers that would have to redo the whole ring before it gets sent to production. 

Post # 486
1245 posts
Bumble bee

abcxyzbee :  Well that is good because you would be so disappointed if they did not fit together. These types of rings are like a puzzle so it needs to fit exactly. The thickness/width issue is easy to fix.  I would just save the picture and use ‘edit’ so you can circle or draw a line and cross out the wrong number and put the new ones for both measurements. That way they can’t get it wrong and you can tell them to approve it tonight. 

Post # 489
42 posts
Newbee

Missesinlove :  sorry to hear about your experience πŸ™ 

if your stone will be 10x8mm instead of 9x11mm, would it just look a bit chunkier rather than elongated? Maybe 10x8mm size would still be in the 4-5 carat range hence Lucy didn’t say anything? 

With Chinese vendors I think you have to be quite clear on what exactly you want. 

Maybe you can buy another stone (9x11mm) from them and ask them to set that one instead? I know it’s not ideal, but I think their loose stones are more affordable. 

Hope everything works out for you 

Post # 490
28 posts
Newbee

I’ve heard that with some Chinese companies, rings end up a few mm smaller due to polishing.

Do you know if Starsgem account for this on their CADS? If they put 2mm width on a CAD, does that mean the finished ring will be ~1.8mm?

Thanks! Just trying to figure out how to make what I want clear to my sales rep :)πŸ™‚

Post # 491
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2019

pixiepie1987 :  Starsgem rings do lose about .2mm after polishing. The CAD shows the pre-polish width, so it’s best to boost the width up on them. You can also tell your rep your desired post-polish dimensions.

Post # 492
42 posts
Newbee

Hi ladies. I just wanted to ask how have your Starsgem rings held up over time? I’ve been enjoying wearing my rings but also wonder if I should be careful in handling it. Have you also experienced the oil sick that I’ve heard of? πŸ™‚

Post # 493
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2019 - City, State

UTB8O0wPQiDEXKJk43Oqq6Az3XXaIUTB8NZNYwYPJXKJkSafSq6yqUXXayUTB8rh7VQhHEXKJk43Jeq6yeeXXaQHTB1YgXhaAH0gK0jSZPiq6yvapXaUHTB11p0gaAY2gK0jSZFgq6A5OFXa4

Hey there! I’ve been lurking for a while and learned so much! Thanks to everyone who has shared so much knowledge and experience!

I did like @abcxyzbee did and ordered my e-ring before settling on my wedding band. I made sure to ask for them to be put together in the CAD when I explained what I want. The first image is my poor mock up of what I want with the second two the inspiration for it. 

After reading here, I’m thining they have the band too thin so I will ask for that to be 2mm at least. I also want the crescent moons to be smaller and closer in size to the center stone and have the other stones spaced out a little more to get it closer to the original. Should I just say that, or is there a better way to communicate? Any other things that I’m not seeing that stand out to y’all?

Thanks so much!! <3

Post # 494
213 posts
Helper bee

faeriel :  oh I just love that design with the crescent moons and the six prongs on the largest stone makes it look like a star. It’s very unique and beautiful! 

I’m really not the best person to help you with a cad as I’m new to custom myself, but there are some other ladies on here with way more experience and such good eyes for design so hopefully someone else will weigh in. I just wanted to say how much I like your ring and can’t wait to see that one completed and paired with your e-ring!

I think you are right about the 1.5 being a little bit too thin though. Keep us posted! 😊

Post # 495
1245 posts
Bumble bee

faeriel :  I am trying to understand correctly that you have the e-ring already?  I think some of the chunkiess of the moon’s is just how oversized these things can look on a CAD.  It might have been hard for them to make that exact moon shape on the CAD drawing. I would explain to them that you want it to look like a crescent moon and not just a piece of curved metal.  I think what they were trying to do with the band is to line it up with the e-ring so they both end at the same point.  It looks slightly more spaced out in the picture but not by much.

i understand wanting to make the band wider since we are always saying that.  These types of bands though, I wouldn’t go over 1.8 mm. The problem is that the thicker the band becomes, the deeper the V and you will have a larger gap in-between.  I would think that 1.8 mm would be enough since it is not traditional pave going all the way down. I would make the thickness the same as whatever your e-ring finished at.  Keep in mind that they take .2 mm off for polishing so you will have to bump it up for those reasons.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors