StarsGem 2019 projects and inspiration board

posted 5 months ago in Rings
Post # 796
280 posts
Helper bee

Hi bees, another question. Do you ever pay via alibaba? Sue just asked me if I can pay through Ali. How do you guys pay? 

Post # 797
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2019

sydneybee4 :  I always pay by Alibaba.com with a credit card.

Post # 798
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2017

sydneybee4 :  I tried to pay through alibaba 2 weeks ago and it wouldn’t go through,  I got an error msg so she sent me a PayPal invoice instead,  it was $18 more but I was more than  happy to have the PayPal protection,  I was using my debit card for the purchase. 

Post # 800
1228 posts
Bumble bee

sydneybee4 :  From your user name, I am guessing you might not be in the US but I will just make this general statement for other’s too.  You really should pay via PP and that should be linked to a credit card and not a debit card (if you can).  You want to layer in as many people that you can who will dispute charges on your behalf if this turns into a bad transaction for you.  For the few times where people have had to file a dispute with PP, I think with the exception of one, PP has ruled on their behalf.  If you pay with a credit card, you can file a dispute with them too.  If you pay with a debit, the funds come out of your bank account immediately and once they have your money, it is harder to get it back.  The Chinese companies want you to pay via Alibaba because they will tell you it is cheaper.  Yes, it is great to save 3%, but they are trying to get their feedback rating up.  That doesn’t do anything for you.  If you file a dispute with Alibaba, you are dealing with a Chinese company and the one dispute I have seen in that instance, Alibaba ruled with the vendor and not the consumer.  I would rather deal with PP as they have a tendency to rule with the consumer over the vendor and it is English speaking with a good dispute resolution team.  

Each person’s situation is unique but from the one time I paid with Alibaba, I now seem to be on a junk email distribution list with endless RFQ’s being sent and email’s in Chinese that I never used to get that I just find it annoying. 

TL;DR – pay with PP that is linked to a credit card.

Post # 801
280 posts
Helper bee

angelwaye :  thank you for that explanation. That all makes sense. No, I’m not in the US, Im in Australia. I don’t have a credit card so I won’t be able to do that but I’ll ask Sue to pay via PayPal. Thanks again! 

Excited to get this started. The quicker this gets made the quicker I get to wear it ๐Ÿ˜

Post # 802
280 posts
Helper bee

Hey bees before I go ahead, I haven’t been keeping up with pricing at all. I think it’s really good but I have no idea. 

14k white gold, lab diamonds, setting only. $350 USD. Style below.   

Post # 803
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

sydneybee4 :  wow that’s a good price! What are the size lab diamond melees on the halo and side stones?

I just recently had a halo ring made again with Sg and for 2mm Lab diamonds on halo and 2.3mm Lab diamonds as side stones was about $480 just for the setting in 14k white gold size 4. My pear halo setting was slightly cheaper but they said gold prices were high so they couldn’t price match that price but I was ok with it. But I also heard from someone on Reddit they paid a bit more for their halo I think it was around $800-950 so I think pricing with each rep is different. I’m pretty positive if I hadn’t mentioned the price about my old rep Demi gave me for my pear halo, they would of quoted me a bit more. 

Post # 804
280 posts
Helper bee

cicix3 :  to be honest I didn’t ask … I’m a big rookie. That’s a ring they’ve made before and I just said I’d like this ring please but instead with lab diamonds and that’s what she’s quoted me. Should I ask before purchasing?? I don’t really even know how big I’d like them. How big do you think the ones on that ring are? 

Post # 805
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

sydneybee4 :  yes you should def asked what size lab diamond melee it is. I’m guessing the halo maybe be 1mm or 1.3mm in size and side stones could be 1.5mm. It would be good to just ask.

I always liked a bigger halo look that’s why mines is 2mm lol but that’s just me lol not many people like that look but it’s all up to you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 806
280 posts
Helper bee

cicix3 : I like a daintier halo but you’re right. It is good to know. I asked Sue and she asked if I have a preference. I said I would like it to look like the one they had already made and she said she would find out the size of those so I guess she quoted with no size in mind? Lol weird.   

Should I send her all my preferences once I’ve paid but before she provides me with a cad? For things like id like my diamond to sit almost flush with the halo, not up high above the halo. Things like that? 

Post # 807
1228 posts
Bumble bee

sydneybee4 :  I’m with Cici, that I like a bigger halo personally.  The one above looks to be around 1.3 mm and that is a good sparkle size. They get a little more dull the closer to 1 mm.  Don’t go for a band at less than 1.8 mm so it would be around 1.5-1.6 mm.  Even better would be a 2 mm band, which is still very thin but will give the ring some good quality weight to it.  That would get you diamonds in around 1.7 mm in the width, which would still look dainty enough.  Somewhere right in-between super thin and substantial, if that is what you are looking for.  The thickness should be 1.6-1.8 mm, depending on your finger size.  The price seems pretty good for lab diamonds really.  Any other retailer would be well over $2K for that. 

Post # 808
280 posts
Helper bee

angelwaye :  yes 100%. Local jewellers were quoting nearly 3k so I’m ecstatic with the price. I think I agree with you, I’d like a 2mm band so I guess whatever size diamonds would come with that. Thanks so much for your help ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Post # 809
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2019

Have a look at the halo size stones boards on here and pricescope so you can get an idea of what size stones you like in your halo. Everyone has a personal preference. 0.05 creates a delicate halo, around 1 pointers will be a midway look, not too delicate, not too chunky. Halo stones above that size look more chunky. I like all 3 looks, but most people have a personal preference.

What I did was paid, then sent pictures and specified what I wanted, then Sue made the CAD. I also wanted my diamond to so that low in my halo, so I sent side view  pictures so Sue could see what I meant.

I just finished creating a halo ring with Sue, it took a couple of weeks and many changes, but Sue was very patient and made all the changes until I was happy with the CAD.

The price is similar to what I paid for my halo with lab diamonds.

Post # 810
1228 posts
Bumble bee

Here is a halo size chart.  A 1.3 mm halo gets you in-between the first two.  I have 2.25 mm on a 2 carat halo on mine because I wanted more of a flower look.  I would go with a cathedral if you want a flush fit.  I think for a halo it avoids the flying saucer look.

sydneybee4 :  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors