StarsGem 2019 projects and inspiration board

posted 5 months ago in Rings
Post # 841
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2019

sydneybee4 :  

Wow its totally perfect, not too big at all! Lucky you, it’s beautiful!

Post # 842
1330 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

sydneybee4 :  the cushion is actually my mom’s and she has it set in a yellow gold cathedral solitaire setting. I don’t have pics of it, but she loves it and it’s beautiful!

Post # 843
287 posts
Helper bee

sandybeach :  thank you! Is yours finished?? Have you received it yet? Really hoping my stone fits it in lol. I reiterated the sizes to Sue a few times so fingers crossed! 

Post # 844
287 posts
Helper bee

dracarys :  ahh I’m so glad I saw your photo. I’ll be making a toi et moi ring with those 😍

Post # 845
287 posts
Helper bee

It’s here! It’s here! Okay so rookie question coming now … I’ve never purchased a semi mount alone to have a stone set into it. 

As it is it seems the prongs are stopping the stone from sitting in the setting. Is that normal? Does it look like it will fit? Lol freak out time. 

Post # 846
287 posts
Helper bee

Sorry last photo didn’t work. 

Post # 847
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2006

Been lurking for a bit, but I’m wanting to take the plunge and do an order with either SG or Tianyu. Here’s my inspiration pictures.  I’m wanting a pinkish red lab ruby with lab diamond accent.  But I’m wondering if SG has much experience with bezels.  I’ve seen some posts saying fine milgrain is a no.  But I’m not really seeing bezel rings. Would love your input!  ❤️

Post # 848
8 posts
Newbee

No idea, but that is a beautiful inspiration ring.

Post # 849
287 posts
Helper bee

bluetruedream19 :  that’s a beautiful ring! Excited to tag along and see how your project pans out. 

Post # 850
1235 posts
Bumble bee

bluetruedream19 :  this is pretty but I would say no to any of the Chinese companies. Not just for the bezel but for the center stone. They are rather low quality mostly glass filled lab stones. It won’t be worth spending the money to put it in a nice bezel that you can never change the center out of w/o destroying. The lab ruby also looks hot pink and not red at all. If you look back @somethingabitdifferent and her ruby. It was in a halo and she had to find someone to cut her a new lab ruby to replace it with. 

Bezels take some skill. Miligrain like that CVB pic is hand done and I think that is her brushed metals version. The execution won’t be very good from the Chinese companies. They will all say they can do it if you ask though. I would purchase a lab ruby or have one cut. There are some people to recommend if you want to start looking. That doesn’t look like a super expensive setting just because there are only a few diamonds. I am sure you could do something similar with a local or online jeweler. 

Post # 851
6 posts
Newbee

angelwaye :  

I’d love to hear your recommendation on where to source a good lab ruby.  

I wondered if a bezel would be a no since I really hadn’t seen any on any of the threads here.  

If I did want to try a cushion cut with side stones with one of the Chinese companies I’m guessing this would be a much better idea for a design.  Although not with a lab sapphire/ruby.  

Post # 852
1235 posts
Bumble bee

bluetruedream19 :  I think that would be a much easier setting to have made by one of the vendors.  I would add lab diamonds on the side for the best sparkle.  It is much better to get a center stone cut first so you can give the exact measurements.  Colored stones face up smaller and are deeper so it is important to not have it made with moissanite dimensions or it won’t fit. The only gemstones I feel are worth of a setting are the hydrothermal emeralds from the Chinese companies.  I know they are done by SG but I am not sure about Tianyu.  There was a pear done by Luckyrabbit on this thread.  They can grow them with tiny silk linked so they don’t look so perfect.  I wasn looking at a cushion at one point so I am including a short video there too.  The last 2 pics are of my aquamarine that I just had cut and put in a setting that was a bezel.  It was cut by the guys on reddit gemstones.

https://imgur.com/a/ZpjNVQG

These are some of the lab gemstone cutters. Probably the quickest is going to be Stag & Finch.  The other two, there might be a little waiting for but they are all well known vendors.   

Bryan and Melissa from Stag & Finch:

https://www.stagandfinch.com

Gene from Precision Gems:  He does not take orders but you can add yourself to the distribution list and he will release a load of gems that people can buy at that time:

https://www.precisiongem.com

You can see a lot of projects with stones from Gene on pricescope here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-gem-beauties-lab-created.242317/page-27#post-4622030

I ordered my aquamarine from the gemstone guys on Reddit. Here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinypreciousgems/

Download the Reddit app here: https://reddit.app.link/wwu4bpjPtW

Here is the google doc’s form. They will match up your request with one of the lapidaries.  They are very affordable and very good.  Mine was a precision cut and about the same price of an equivalent moissanite from China:

Here is the google docs form for a request;

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XlISFqb7Q4aevL6lMG9jGNH29goy1W97C4UVUt2pr1s/viewform?edit_requested=true

You can fill out the form just to get in line even if you are looking into the other two.  You should be contacted by Lindsey.  You can also look through r/shinypreciousgems as they will post gemstone or lab gemstones for sale all the time.  

Good luck in your search!  I found the process to be a lot of fun. You can always buy a lab ruby and have a bezel made from a well known jeweler as well.  The prices are not as expensive as you might think for custom work.  The quality though can give you a real heirloom piece.  It really depends on your budget and where you are located though.

Post # 853
6 posts
Newbee

Thanks!  

I inherited a ton of gemstone jewelry from my grandmother and I’ve been considering having some of the larger stones possibly reset.  I have a good sided oval aquamarine in a chunky ring that must be from the 90’s and a pretty tanzanite in a ugly LeVian setting.  I should probably free both from their misery.  I know the larger rubies are glass filled. (I know that and the chrome diopside one are from JTV probably.)  But I have a soft spot for the ruby solitaire.  It was my grandmother’s great aunt’s and the setting is in excellent shape.  I’ve thought about pulling two diamonds from the white gold band and having the ruby set between those.  But I just really want a ring set with a decent sized antique cushion cut stone.  😊

Post # 854
3 posts
Wannabee

Hi Bees! Been following these threads for a while wondering if anyone can help me! 

I contacted StarsGem for a quote for this ring, I wanted a 7.5mm centre stone, 2mm band width and preferably 6 prongs. 

However I then saw THIS ring on Instagram and I love the sparkly bridge detail!!

Here’s why I need your help:

– Will the bridge pave wear down when I wear a wedding band? I want these to sit flush and want my wedding band to be pave too so will this scratch my ring or cause the stones to wear down? 

– Will the basket that the main stone sits in have to be changed much to accommodate the pave band I.e will it have to be shorter and fatter rather than longer thinner prongs? 

Does anyone have any rings they can share we me similar to what I’m looking for please? Is StarsGem the best vendor to make this ring? 

Post # 855
6 posts
Newbee

Thanks for the suggestions on the bezel ring!  I’m going to shelf that and try something easier.  But when I do I think I’ll try a lab ruby or hot pink sapphire from Stag & Finch.  

I love the ACCs that so many of you have posted so I think I would like to do a simple 9 x 7 ACC with a plain yellow gold band and double claw prongs.  

I grabbed this CAD that someone else posted as this is what I’m thinking about.  I’m wondering if there’s a better way to set it so a band would set flush under it.  I have five small 3 cm brilliant cut diamonds (From hubby’s grandmother’s wedding ring.  I used three in my original engagement ring) that I want to have set into a band to set flush with this ring.  Would love to hear your ideas and see some examples of solitaire settings that would set flush with a simple band with small diamonds.

Not a great photo, but there are the diamonds I want to have set into a band.  I don’t really know anything about them other than they would have been purchased in the early 50s and hubby’s grandmother called them “blue white.”  We didn’t have them appraised when they were reset because we were young college kids and didn’t know squat about diamonds.  😊 They really are nice and quite sparkly for their tiny size.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors