StarsGem 2019 projects and inspiration board

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 856
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
bluetruedream19 :  If you want to have a flush sitting band, you need to have a design without the donut as it bumps out and gets in the way. I am going to post my ring that I made with Debebian’s in LA. I have a morganite ring that has a similar shape and I had the prongs curved in a way that allowed the band to sit flush. You might want to try this shape and they can just change it up for your finger size, how much pave you want and the size of the center stone.  You don’t have to do the diamonds on the arms up to the stone but it is a nice touch in lab diamonds for minimal price. It will help add some overall sparkle since an ACC center is more like chunky sparkle.  

With the diamonds that you have as heirloom diamonds, you probably need a jeweler to put those into a ring for you.  I have a simple low sitting CAD for a 5 stone as well that you could use.  If your finger is this size and under, it would probably work with the 5 stones.  I am not sure what the carat weight’s per stone are?  It usually works well for a .20 stone for a total of 1 carat. If they are smaller than that, you might have to add one or two (depending on your finger size).  This band design is super low and comfortable.  You can barely tell you are wearing pave and will sit under the head of the e-ring.  If you don’t have a jeweler, you can always reach out to Debebian’s and he can check it against my other CAD to make sure it will fit under the head.  He will let you know the carat weights and if the stones all match for color and give you some advice.  Unfortunately, the Chinese companies will not accept outside stones and I don’t think you want to chance sending those stones there anyways.  His email is [email protected]

CAD’s

Post # 857
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
shinesparkle08 :  If you want to do 6 prongs, you could do something in the shape below but add some pave.  I am not as crazy about the hard V prong with pave. I prefer it looking a bit more organic then that shape.  The ring below has diamonds on the bridge they are slightly recessed.  Even with having them recessed though, they will scratch each other no matter what you do.  Diamond’s are very abrasive and you will get cuts into the side of the pave band over time. I prefer having diamonds on the arms up to the head and around the perimeter vs on the bridge.  If you look on the next page, I uploaded a CAD for a ring I have that allows for a flush sitting pave band and it was made it a way were none of the stones hit each other but it can still give you a bit of side sparkle. There are several photo’s to flip through on the imgur link. 

If you want a flush fit, I would suggest sticking with a 4 prong design as a 6 prong is a lot harder to get a flush sitting band with unless you keep the stone relatively small. At the same time, if the stone is small, it does end up looking like 6 prongs are too many.

Post # 858
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2006

Thanks!  I definitely will have a local jeweler set my own diamonds.  I want to take good care of them so I can pass them down to my daughter if she wants them.  Actually she’s four and I have to really watch her because she likes getting into my jewelry box.  😂

I’m honestly not sure of the carat weight of each of them.  I’m sure the jeweler who reset them for me in 2006 told me, but I don’t remember now.

The pave work is pretty on those CADs, but I just want mine super simple with no pave.  

Post # 859
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
bluetruedream19 :  You can use the shape of the CAD and just have it made with a comfort fit band and no pave.  The idea is to remove the donut which will allow a flush sitting band.  The other CAD you linked has quite a large one and it is not really necessary on a catheral setting. If you want to keep it simple, I would find a version without the donut or you can try a trellis like the pic below.  There are also version’s where the head is integrated.  I did the last one and have the CAD for that too. It is an integrated head that allows it to sit very low but it does have a small donut.  It is a knife edge so it will look thin from the top but tapers wider from the side.  This is one of my favorite simple solitaire’s.  A band almost sits all the way up to it. The gap is very small. I had it and wore it with a pave band or a 5 stone too. It is a design where it goes with almost any band you can think of.

Solitaire’s

Post # 860
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2017

well this beauty just arrived,  I am so happy with how it turned out,  it only took 3 days to get to me too,  is it bad that I’m now thinking of my next project?  

Special Thanks to Angelway & Sandybeach for your help and advice,  it made the ordering process for me so much easier.

Post # 861
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
debwillow30 :  I am happy to hear you like it!  The proportions are really great on your finger.  I think an EC photograph’s so differently in person then it looks in real life.  If you are happy with your first moissanite purchase, it is a rabbit holt that is long and deep.  I had to go through a lot of cuts until I settled on the ones I love and the stepcuts get me every time.  Congrats!!  So pleased it turned out for you!

Post # 862
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2017

View original reply
angelwaye :  thanks,  you’ve inspired me to get an ACC,  I’m thinking of another 3 stone,  similar to your Meghan ring but with OEC sides or even ACC sides,  decisions decisions 😁

Post # 863
239 posts
Helper bee

Hello,

Ive posted this as a seperate thread and although I wont be going through stargems I thought i’d ask in here also as i know you ladies are ace at ring designs!

After getting a new wedding set for my 15th wedding anniversary I had my original three stone engagemnet ring made into a pendent and earrings. I have decided to use the diamond earrings to make a RHR as I rearly wear them as earrings!

They are .35ish size round and I am planning on setting them with a 2.77 oval london blue topaz.

Could anyone give me any advice on this?

What do you think of the porportions? I want the center to be a good bit larger than sides so does the above sound ok?

I want the sides to sort of tuck into the center and not be straight across, if that makes sense. Anyone know how i explain this to jeweller?

I want it to sit flush if i decide to wear it with another ring, what is the best setting type for this. My current ering is cathederal (i think) and i love this setting but would this work with a three stone? 

Post # 864
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
lisag103 :  I think that those proportions/measurements will work with your stone sizes.  Gemstones will face up smaller than an equivalent moissanite or diamond so it might actually face up closer to a 2 carat. Do you have the exact dimensions?  I am doing something similar but I have a little larger sides at 1/2 carat each.  I think .35 a carat is still proportionate. The lovely @michellelynn9175 was nice enough to lend me her CAD from David Klass and it sounds similar to what you are trying to do. She didn’t mind if I shared it and maybe it is something you can work off of.  I don’t know if you have a jeweler or not?  Also, this should allow for a fairly flush fit.  If not, you can switch it up to a trellis design, which is not hard to do.  I have some CAD examples of that as well.

Here is a pic of what it looked like complete (below) and there are a couple versions on his IG page.  There is also another lady on pricescope that worked off the same CAD but had the side baskets pointed North a bit more and a pic of what her’s looked like if you swipe right.

Cad’s

Post # 865
14 posts
Newbee

View original reply
angelwaye :  thank you, after your feedback I’ve definitely decided a pave bridge is just a waste as the pave will fall out and/or damage my wedding ring. 

I have seen the Catalina setting from brilliant Earth and I prefer this style cathedral. Does anyone know how I will describe this to Starsgem? I prefer the way the prongs seem to hug the stone. 

Pic I originally sent to Starsgem:

Pic of the Catalina setting: 

Am I right in thinking the settings look a lot different? Apart from the obvious pave which I would ask Starsgem to add. 

Thanks Bees!

Post # 866
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
shinesparkle08 :  The first pictures is with a classic Tiffany ‘V’ prong and the 2nd is with the Tiffany style 6 prong but in a cathedral setting. I prefer that one personally.  I would save off all the different views so they can see exactly what you want if you are sure about the style.  I think someone has gotten this setting before from them but I am not sure how many pages back or if it was on the thread from earlier this year. It should be very easy for them to do. 

Post # 867
14 posts
Newbee

View original reply
angelwaye :  I prefer the second too I think that’s what I’m going to go with! I’ve trawled through so many threads trying to find other pictures of this setting, I’ve only found a few other Bees with this ring and I have commented and asked for other pics but the threads are quite old so not sure if they will be checking them. I’ve also asked Brilliant Earth if they can let me know how high this setting sits, so I know how high to make it on my CAD. The first setting is 8mm from finger to top of stone, is this about average for cathedrals? I don’t want to be knocking it all the time.

Hopefully ordering ring end of this month! So will share the CADs when I have them! So excited! 

Post # 868
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
shinesparkle08 :  I don’t think you have to worry about the height as that will be determined by the size of your stone and depth. It really depends on how big you go. You can ask them to get it as low as possible but they have certain tolerances they work with to protect the point.  I don’t expect it to be as high as 8 mm.  More likely between 6.5-7.5 mm, depending on center stone size. A cathedral is a good compromise for getting the stone talll enough to have a flush fitting band but low enough to not be too bothersome on height. 

Post # 869
14 posts
Newbee

View original reply
angelwaye :  I’m thinking either a 7mm or 7.5mm stone. Then a 3mm band so I’m not sure what size my pave stones would be? Are they normally about 0.3mm smaller than the band width? This is from what I’ve seen on other Bees CADs. Thank you so much for all your help and advice! 

Post # 870
1523 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
shinesparkle08 :  They will work that out for you too. Usually a 3 mm band will have something like 2.7 -2.8 mm pave.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors