(Closed) Starting TTC in 2016 chat

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 181
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

We are starting TTC this year! We wanted to wait til the end of the year because of some work/holidays but things looked uncertain and we realiased that nothing will ever go exactly to plan so let’s just start now! 

I got off the pill which I’ve been on for 5 years and now trying to track my body but it’s a bit confusing. Once I get my period I’ll be able to figure it out a little better but I just want it to happen already haha

What do people think of prenatal vitamins/pills? I thought you started taking them after you found out you were pregnant but people start taking them before? Is there any harm to not taking them? I’m 24 and this would be my first pregnancy, my fiancé is 34. We are healthy with no medical issues in family history. 

Post # 182
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - Franklin Plaza

View original reply
littleeskimo:  my obgyn recommended taking prenatals (in place of my multivitamin) as soon as I told him we’d be trying to TTC in a few months.   I switched to prenatals in February after my yearly visit and we won’t be TTC until next month.   Also, if you’re looking for a recommendation, I’m very happy with Nature’s Made prenatals.

Post # 183
1444 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014 - Paradise Gardens

View original reply
littleeskimo:  I agree with PP, if you don’t decide to take prenatals at least try to incorporate folic acid before getting pregnant. And congrats on deciding to TTC!

Post # 184
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
aprilbee11:  You’re welcome! Best of luck in August. 🙂

Post # 185
15 posts
Newbee

View original reply
littleeskimo:  My OB also told me to take a prenatal if there was any chance I could get pregnant. Because you won’t know you’re pregnant for a couple of weeks. So it’s best just to start taking them now. We weren’t even trying when she told me this! But I did tell her that we were only using condoms so that when we were ready to start, it would be easy to do so.

Post # 186
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
littleeskimo:  I started taking prenatals a couple of months ago- my doc said it was fine to take 2/3 of a dose while we’re waiting (it’s a 3 pill a day thing normally), and then up it to the full dose when I get pregnant.  But definitely at the very least start taking folate and a DHA fish oil supplement!  I found this link https://labdoor.com/rankings/prenatal-vitamins very helpful as I was searching for mine!

Guys!!!  I think we’re going to start trying next month!  I am scared it might be too early, but so nervous that it won’t happen right away so I want to have a bit of a grace period…eeek!

Post # 187
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

So for those using OPKs, a few questions. I just got off of BC in February, had a very short cycle right after (21 days) and now seem to back to the 28 day cycle. I have yet to get a positive OPK, but this is the first month I’m taking then on a regular basis because I really want to see if everything is “working” correctly. Is using one every other day enough? I’m using the Fertility Friend app, but because of the one short cycle, their predicted days are off right now.

I also ordered a thermometer and will do my best to start temping, though I may have trouble forcing myself to wake up at the same time on the weekends because I can never fall back asleep once I’m up!

Post # 188
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

You guys.  We start officially trying in TWO weeks!!  That’s the next time that I ovulate (I think) so it’s our official start.  I can’t believe it’s here!  I’m not temping or using OPKs for the first month or two, but I might get more intense as time goes by.  I am really hoping (like everyone else on here) that it happens quickly!  I know so many people that had infertility issues that I’m nervous, but trying my hardest to be laid back at the moment.  Ahhh!  So exciting!

Post # 189
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
dispup:  I totally feel you on the trying to be laid back!  It’s really hard!  I promised my husband that I wouldn’t do any charting or temping (beyond tracking my cycle with an app) until we’ve been trying for a few months.  I feel like I could go down that rabbit hole really quickly and actually add to the stress of it, lol…

Post # 190
15 posts
Newbee

View original reply
Audrey2_sings:  
View original reply
dispup:  So exciting! TTC time will be here before you know it! Best of luck!!

View original reply
islabride2016:  I would test twice a day during the week you think you might be fertile. For some women the spike is short lived so you might be missing it! Once you have a better idea of when you O, you might be able to test less often.

Post # 191
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

View original reply
mrsflex:  Oh, thanks for that advice! I didn’t realize the results could change so frequently. This week should be the week, so I will increase to two per day.

Post # 192
15 posts
Newbee

View original reply
islabride2016:  You’re welcome! Good luck!

Post # 193
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

View original reply
subola:  
View original reply
BreezyBride24:  
View original reply
mrsflex:  
View original reply
Audrey2_sings:  thank you for the kind wishes ladies! Eek I’m so excited xo this is the first place I’ve said anything about TTC other than with my fiancé obviously. I appreciate the advice, I’m going get some prenatals tonight thanks to your advice. Good luck all, fingers crossed everything goes smoothly xoxo 

Post # 194
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2016 - Gratus Vineyard

View original reply
BreezyBride24:  Great idea to buy pregnancy tests. That’s making me even more excited! And I should definitly start DH on a daily vitamin of some sort. 

View original reply
aprilbee11:  Congrats! I agree, summer research will definitely keep my mind occupied. I’m also preparing to take my qualifying exams so that doesn’t leave me much time to think about anything else anyway. I’m a bit nervous about not getting pregnant right away, since it’s not really something I can really predict or control. But the charting and stopping my birth control helps me feel like I’m helping with my timeframe (even if it’s not). I’m also going to use OPK’s right away because I’ve read many stories on here about people getting pregnant immediately when using them. Do you think you’ll do anything like that in the beginning?

View original reply
mrsflex:  Thanks for the info about the prenatal vitamins. Have you ever heard anything about there being too much iron in them for a person that isn’t pregnant? That was my only concern. It was just something someone told me once, maybe just an old wives tale though. 

View original reply
dispup:  Congrats! I worry about infertility issues, too. Try not to worry too much though. You don’t need that added stressor when you’re TTC. Especially, since you don’t have a reason to. 

Post # 195
15 posts
Newbee

View original reply
EarlyBird:  I did hear that about the iron once. I think that’s one of the reasons they don’t recommend a prenatal when you’re not pregnant or trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding?

The topic ‘Starting TTC in 2016 chat’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors