- 7 years ago
- Wedding: September 2010
We have a bit of a home saga in our life. We bought our first home, not for the house itself, but for the location. We’re on a river, live in a great little town, have great neighbours, and a fantastic school nearby when we have kids. We intended to tear down the house and rebuild something more conducive to family living, the house as it stands now is not laid out properly, nor is it big enough to simply gut and rebuild inside to fix it. It’s a bungalow with a walk out basement, no garage. Our yard is a steep slope down to the river, so no matter what we do, we’ll never have a big yard for our kids to play in.
We started the process to renovate our home last winter, hiring an architect to do up plans, etc. Because we live on the river, our plans have to be approved by our local conservation authority and it has not been a smooth ride to say the least. They constantly and consistently contradict themselves, change their minds, make up rules, it’s so aggravating and we have literally made no headway with them. We are still living in a tiny house with no garage that is pretty much exploding at the seams and held together with duct tape.
I’ve been really adamant about staying and fighting it out and barging our way through the process (which I’m 99% sure will ultimately come down to paying off the right person) because I love our neighbourhood and location so much. It’s frustrating to say the least because we’re waiting until after the house is done to have kids. We had thought we’d be building right now and clearly we’re not.
Last week one of my favourite neighbours came to me and told me they were thinking about putting their house on the market. I don’t know why, but this changed something in me. I sort of felt less attached. Like if they’re leaving, we won’t be letting anyone down by leaving.
So Darling Husband and I talked last night and decided that if we can’t get approvals from the conservation authority by December/January, then we’ll start house hunting and move. It would likely mean moving somewhere more remote, but with a big piece of property (10+ acres) and maybe building a seperate barn on the property to rent out as event/wedding space. Pretty cool. Then it dawned on me that if we do that, we could have a little one by next Christmas…..
I feel torn by this attachment to our location and our “dream” house, vs the idea of buying a home (or building) and starting a new dream. Giving up living on the river would be so hard but then I think having a big piece of land for kids to run around on would be amazing. But then I also wonder if I would go crazy with a more rural isolated property? Uggghhh. I’m just so confused and I wish the answer would just drop out of the sky!!!