Post # 1
Hey All! I’m newly engaged and we’re planning our wedding in my home state (and where we currently live) of Virginia. It’s going to be 10/15/11 … the thing is 99% of the guests will be traveling from way Out of Town eg: Chicago, New Orleans, Boston, NYC, FL, and CA – and that’s just within the wedding party. FI’s entire family is from Missouri. So here is what I’m wondering: while we aren’t having a “destination wedding” per se, we are asking almost all of our guests to travel quite a ways. I keep reading that for a Destination Wedding you should send out your Save-The-Date Cards (god so many acronyms …) 9 months in advance. Do you think that holds for our wedding? Or should I stick to the 6 month mark? Thoughts? What have y’all done? Thanks in advance for all the help!
Post # 3
We are having tons of Out of Town guests (some from overseas) for our June wedding and I just sent out my Save-The-Date Cards this week (7 month mark). I think you’ll be just fine at the 6 month mark.
Post # 4
We are having our wedding in the US and we have family coming from both the US and Canada. I sent ours out at the 8 month mark. I will be sending the invitations at the 3 month mark. Times are tough right now for almost everyone, so I wanted to give everyone that wants to come an opportunity to save up for it. I think you should send yours out now because I am sure a lot of your guests will need the extra time to plan. Also, a lot of companies make their employess put in for the next year’s time off at the end of the previous year, so if you wait too long, some of your guests may not be able to come because they won’t be able to get the time off from their jobs.
Post # 5
I think the sooner the better – so, my vote is AT LEAST 9 months.
Post # 6
I think the sooner you can get them out, the better. It’s nice to give people as much notice as you can, if you can have yours done at the 9 month mark, then why not send them off?
Post # 7
I don’t really see any reason to wait? The sooner you let your guests know, the more time they will have to plan for it. I don’t see a downside to getting them out as early as possible.
Post # 8
I don’t see a downside in getting them out earlier, but I also think that 6 mos. is plenty of time. There’s no need to buy plane tickets 24 weeks in advance.