(Closed) Steaming & Pressing the Dress ~ How important?

posted 9 years ago in October 2009
Post # 3
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

This was crucial in my case.  I bought a steamer before the wedding to be prepared, because I knew my dress and train had a 12 hour car ride to get to the venue.  Needless to say they came out crumpled and wrinkled.

The steamer didn’t work very well, so the night before the wedding, all my girls and I were huddled around an ironing board getting the wrinkles out of the dress.  Another friend spent 6 hours getting the wrinkles out of the tulle.  Had I known that it was going to be so hard to steam, I would have planned to have it done professionally the day before the wedding!  It was a huge investment of time, energy and stress… especially without professional grade equipment.

Post # 4
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My dress was sitting in a tri-fold garment bag (that was really too short for the dress) for about 4 days of traveling before it got to come out.  When we got to where we were staying, I just hung the dress up and most of the wrinkles fell out over the course of 3 days before the wedding.  We did bring a steamer and steamed out a few tougher creases, but it didn’t take long.  I never had anything professionally done. 

What would work best for you probably depends on your dress.  Mine is made of silk satin.  Silk is supposed to wrinkle more than most man made fibers, but (in my experience anyhow) the wrinkles also come out easier.  If you have a steamer, try it out and see if wrinkles come out of your dress.

Post # 5
1011 posts
Bumble bee

It might be worth the investment to get a professional type steamer.  Besides, you’ll have if for future use.  I love using my steamer for many of my clothes!

Post # 6
1363 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

When my alterations were done the bridal shop was supposed to steam and press my dress.  They did an awful job, it looked like I’d slept in it.  So my mom took it to our beloved dry cleaners and it came back looking fantastic.  I would highly recommend making someone else do this so you’re not sitting there worrying about it.  (And in my case, I’m pretty sure I would have burned the dress because that’s just the sort of thing that would happen to me…)

Post # 7
1676 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m a big fan of hanging the garment in the bathroom and then taking a long hot shower.  It’s amazing how the wrinkles can just fall out from the steam in the bathroom alone.  Yes, I am lazy and cheap, but this works wonders.  I will have to see how my dress holds up after a 5-hour car ride to our wedding destination though.  If it gets too badly wrinkled, then professional dry cleaner here I come!

Post # 8
1145 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2000

Just dropped my dress off at this hole in the wall cleaners that had well known people’s choice “best of 2008” awards in the front. They didn’t know what to charge me and called the supervisor who quoted me $35 (just for press/steam), so I went to go get my dress out of the car and by the time  i came back, they upped the price to $40. I think it’s worth it though and was in my price range. Not sure what the normal cost is. I just thought about this today, dropped it off and get it back the day before my wedding, next Saturday. Hopefully all goes well.

Post # 9
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Maybe the place you buy the dress from will do it for free?  I bought my dress from BCBG (I know, not a bridal store) and the girls I bought it from said come back before the wedding to any BCBG store and they’ll do it for me for free!  Woo!

The topic ‘Steaming & Pressing the Dress ~ How important?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors