(Closed) Strange sweet chemical like smell.

posted 5 years ago in Home
Post # 3
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Do you use a power strip? Extension chords?

Post # 5
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@Sweet.Sugar.Rose:  Careful with those! Once an extension cord caught on fire in my house! Luckily we were home & stopped it. Now we have a special power converter thing we use, it was a few hundred dollars, but worth not losing my home over!

Also, sometimes using wires you’re not supposed to will void your insurance!

Post # 6
Member
7687 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@Sweet.Sugar.Rose:  Rotting oranges have a sweet chemically smell. If that was it, seems weird that it would only be for 5 minutes at a time. But for the heck of it, you could check under the couches, behind the curtains, etc for a rotten orange. I’ve never thought electricity smelled sweet.

Post # 7
Member
7687 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I meant molding, not rotting. It’s the mold that gives the sweet chemical smell.

Post # 8
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@Sweet.Sugar.Rose:  STOP using those cords! Move things around so you don’t have to use extension cords, even if its a pain & inconvenience. We had a high grade one too (not some cheapy extension cord). Probably the scariest experience for me, I was home alone. All I could think of was “do I use baking soda or baking powder or flour AAHHHH” (for electical fires you can’t use water).

Post # 10
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@Sweet.Sugar.Rose:  Also, I got the sweet smell thing too. I was freaked out cause we have a gas heat source. I thought I was being poisoned.

& FYI use baking soda (I think the others make it much worse so don’t get confused on this).

Post # 13
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@Sweet.Sugar.Rose:  Its NOT the PS3 itself! We have a PS3 & this happened before we had that. I’ve never had any gaming system smell. We have a lot of stuff plugged into the power converter thing (DH knows the name of this but he’s at work right now) & never had any type of smell come out of it.

Post # 15
Member
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I had a house built in 1928.  I hated the plugs in that house.  I had an electrician come out and check a few of them, and it turned out a few of them weren’t grounded.  Maybe you want to get an electrician come out and look around.  It actually only cost me like a$100 and he spent an hour at the house, and fixed five plugs and rewired a back light for me.

Post # 16
Member
2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Extension cords are really big fire hazards in general. It’s better to use surge protectors if you can. 

What makes you so sure it’s an electrical smell? Electrical issues usually don’t smell sweet in my experience, more like burning rubber. I wonder if it’s something in the apartment itself, either the carpet or walls, etc, because you said you’ve essentially noticed it since you moved in.

I wouldn’t call it quits on the PS3 right yet. Ditch all the extension cords in favor of surge protectors, etc. And then try unplugging the electronics one and a time until you can figure out if there is a link between a specific one and the smell.

The topic ‘Strange sweet chemical like smell.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors