Post # 1
Hey Bees, lol
I am allergic to bees and have had several severe reactions in the past. The last time I was stung was more than 20 years ago. I have been very lucky, but last week I was stung by a wasp on the back of the leg. I hobbled into the house to get my epi pen, but nothing major happened except the back of my leg felt like it was on fire. My husband washed it with soap, fixed me an ice pack and put it on it. I took some benadryl to be on the safe side and kept my epi pen close just in case I started to have problems breathing. None of that happened thank heavens. Anyways as the evening wore on the back of my leg started to swell and I had a welt the size of a dinner plate in less than an hour. Over night it went down a little, but now for the last week I have this really bad place on the back of my leg. It doesnt itch but it burns where the welt was even though the welt isnt as bad.
My husband thinks its not a big deal but I think its getting worse, its got streaks of raised flesh in it that are very tender on top of the burning. I dont want to go to the doctor if its nothing, does anyone have any idea what this is? Any of you all allergic to bees?
Thanks in Advance
Post # 2
It shouldn’t still be stinging after a week. I’d get it checked out.
Post # 3
Streaking can indicate sepsis. I would go to the doctor in case you need antibiotics.
Post # 5
If it’s getting worse, then you should probably seek medical attention. I don’t think this is emergency room worthy, but I would go to an urgent care. There are delayed or sustained allergic reactions where even though you are no longer exposed to the allergen, your system putting out an immune response. Something similar happened to me when I was stung by a bee last summer. I got an antibiotic ointment and a steroid ointment (to take down the swelling) from my doctor and had to take an antihistamine for several days around the clock. I also kept washing the area to make sure any residual venom was flushed out.
It sounds like you have the beginning of cellulitis (which is what I had) so I would get it checked out.
Post # 6
Definitely get it checked by a Dr. Stings can get infected – the sooner you start an antibiotic, the better.
Post # 7
If it’s burning and swollen that can sometimes means it’s got infected. It’s not an emergency but go to our of hours doctor and they’ll probably give you some antibiotics or cream.
Post # 8
As someone with the same allergy I’ve been told to always seek medical attention if I am stung. You can have delayed reactions or infections that you may be more prone to because of your allergy. I agree, go to urgent care and get this checked out.
Post # 9
Thanks everyone. I went to urgent care. They gave me a steroid shot and an antibiotic. Said it would clear up in a few days. The doctor said I shouldn’t wait next time because the rashy bruising I had could have been really serious if I had waited any longer..
Thank you all.