(Closed) Stupid Question

posted 9 years ago in New Jersey – North Central New Jersey
Post # 5
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I don’t know about NJ, but in a lot of states, you have to have the license signed (i.e. be married) before you can legally change your name with social security (which is where you usually start), since the signed marriage license/certificate is your legal document that allows you to change your name.

Post # 6
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

You need a copy of your marriage certificate.  That usually takes more than 72 hours.

Post # 7
467 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

you cannot start the name change process until you have a cerfified copy of your marriage cerficate – which you can get i think 5 days after your ceremony.

also, at this point, your marriage isnt legal – it wont be until your officiant completes the form and re-submits it to the city/state.  thats why you cant start anything until after the ceremony

The topic ‘Stupid Question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors