- 6 years ago
- Wedding: April 2014
This is my first personal post…I had a firm grasp on my plans until the last couple of weeks…
My Fiance and I have been engaged for 2 years. Our original wedding date was supposed to be December 2012, but a few months before, we decided to postpone it due to the financial strain it would put on us (FI lost his job and his new one didn’t pay as much), and were certain that we just needed a few more months to save/plan. We had already secured a venue and caterer for that date, and were able to cancel the venue (and get our money back), and the caterers are friends of ours, so we just told them the new potential date, and they let our deposit roll over to the new date, no problem.
Since then, the caterers have bought an old, large house to hold events in, so when we set our new date, this April, we went ahead and booked with them at this new venue…we have the menu. decor, everything planned and discussed with them. They gave us a quote and we approved it. It is more expensive than our old plans, but much nicer and well worth it.
Well, my fiance started doing indpendent construction work again (which is what he did when we met), and the company that he was doing work for hasn’t paid him in 2 months for some of the work he did. He quit working for them after one month of non-payment, and has not been able to find other work since then. The man who found him the work has his lawyer involved, and they are SUPPOSED to get paid at some point this weekend, but they have been telling us that for weeks, so we’re not holding our breath. Even if they do get paid soon, we are so behind that I’m afraid we simply won’t be able to afford the wedding anymore, especially since he is still looking for work. I work part-time right now, to avoid paying for full-time child care for our daughter.
My problem is, I feel like the SMART thing to would be to completely cancel the big wedding (which isn’t really big), and just do the courthouse thing and be done with it. Part of this bothers me, b/c I was really looking forward to celebrating this event with the whole family and our close friends. The big thing that bothers me, though, is canceling with our venue/caterer. This would the 2nd change of plans, and complete cancellation, and since they are friends of ours, I guess I’m worried about upsetting them personally, and taking that money away from them. I do know that they have turned down other brides for that day as well…which adds to my guilt!
Fiance suggested doing the courthouse ceremony and keep the reception as is, which would save us some money on the venue, flowers, decor, etc…but I don’t know the logistics of how that would work. Plus, when we talked about that, we were trying to decide who all would come to the courthouse with us, and the ‘important’ family list he made was still 10+ people, which I think is excessive for the courthosue!
Sorry if I rambled, I’m just suddenly so confused about this and I’m NEVER at a loss like this! Just looking for some advice on the courthouse thing, whether or not to have a big reception, etc…