Post # 1
I have recently developed an itchy rash on my ring finger. The itch was bad enough that my Fiance found my ring laying on the bed between us when he woke. I must’ve taken it off while asleep and scratched my ring finger all night because now I have a blister. I am wearing the ring on my other hand now because I am not sure if it is an allergy or a bug bite. I figure if the right hand starts itching too, then it must be an allergy.
Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? This is my 2nd e-ring. The first one was a yellow gold solitaire and I never had problems like this. My current one is white gold with channel set diamonds on the side. Sometimes water/soap gets trapped underneath so I’m thinking that’s what is causing the rash.
I do not like removing my ring when I wash my hands because I know one of these days I will forget to put it back on and lose it. I’m thinking of wearing my ring on a necklace (ala Carrie & Aiden from Sex & the City) but was wondering if it would work, look weird, etc. Is anyone else doing this? I need your input with how long or thick of a chain, etc.
Post # 3
I know that white gold sometimes has nickle in it, and so allergies to white gold are not uncommon. But you’re right, if it’s an allergy you’ll have a reaction on your right hand. I don’t take mine off to wash my hands, and I’m very sensitive to soaps, so I’m not sure that’s the culprit.
In any event, I know quite a few people who wear their rings on necklaces…BUT, if it’s an allergy, that won’t help.
Hope your finger feels better soon!
Post # 4
Wear it on a necklace. : ) That’s what I did with my promise ring, ’cause it was way too big for my finger. If it is an allergy, you could try wearing it as a brooch (like…putting it on some kind of pin and pinning it on the outside of your clothes). Or as a necklace, but in a little silk bag or something.
Post # 5
It may be a gold allergy. I am allergic to gold so my Fiance had to get platinum rings for me as a result. If it’s really a gold allergy…it may bother you being around your neck as well. I know I can’t wear ny gold jewelry…rings, necklaces, earrings…nothing
Post # 6
When you’re washing your hands, slip the ring up to your knuckle to rinse under it, then slip if back down. This should stop it if it’s a soap rash. If it’s an allergy, wearing it around your neck will probably cause issues too. Maybe you could trade in the gold setting for a palladium one? It’s a little more expensive, but it’s hypoallergenic.
Post # 7
My fiance got my ring from Kay Jewelers and with the waranty we bought they will rhodium plate it for free. Rhodium is even purer than platinum. I had the same problem as you and hopefully this will work!
Post # 8
That happened to me with my WG ering about 6 months ago. Turns out it wasn’t an allergy to the gold but actually the soap at work. The soap at work is brutal and if I don’t make sure I dry underneath my ring after I wash my hands it gets irritated, dry, itchy and a rash etc etc.
Post # 9
The blister definitely says allergy to me, it’s what I get with mine. I was diagnosed with a nickel allergy a few months ago and the dermatologist mentioned that White Gold can have nickel in it.
These kinds of allergies can also develop over time, just because you weren’t allergic to it once, doesn’t mean that you can’t become allergic later.
Are you able to wear costume jewellery without issue? If not, it’s probably nickel (which a lot of costume jewellery has in it). If you can, then it’s most likely something else.
You can go to a dermatologist and they will do a patch test (tape patches to your back that have little samples of common allergens on them and leave them over time) to determine what you may be allergic to.
I hope it calms down and you find out it’s just soap or something. However, give this a thought: If it is a soap and is caused by being caught under the ring where it is a little bit sweaty and there is more fiction so that skin is more vulnerable, you may not form a reaction on your other hand.
Post # 10
@baldor1: I have no experiance with this, so I will just say good look and that I hope it is just a bug-bite or something simillar:)
Post # 11