(Closed) Supplemental Insurance questions.

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
1512 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

It depends on your state and whether your employer offers coverage.  It sounds like you are thinking of short term or long term disability.  For either of those, yes, they are based on medical necessity, not just deciding to stay home.  

If your employer does not offer these, you can sometimes buy them privately.  But I have been trying to get private short term disability and learning that in my state (Massachusetts), you essentially cannot buy it outside of your employer, at least not to cover maternity leave.

Post # 4
5883 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

missadventure85:  You can get covered for Medical Insurance under COBRA (in the US) but you have to pay the full amount of the coverage (which can be very expensive) for up to 18 months. 

As for short term diability, you can look into AFFLAC and other coompanies, but it will only cover you if you are home for medical reasons. It may be you want to look at if your employer doesnt cover your 6 weeks at 100%. 

Post # 5
1495 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

It you are asking to find health insurance while not employed….. Healthcare.gov.  It will be half the cost of cobra and better coverage (I know from experience).

if asking about something that will pay you to be a Stay-At-Home Mom for a year… To my knowledge no such thing exists in the US and I’m sure if it did it would be talked about every week on this board. Other countries I can be no help with. 

The topic ‘Supplemental Insurance questions.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors