(Closed) Take that PIPA & SOPA!!!!!!!!

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I love all the jokes going around that today will be the most productive work day ever (since a lot of time wasting sites like reddit will be down).

Post # 4
2459 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I wish I could ‘Like’ your post!

If the film and music industry would move forward and follow the market they wouldn’t have this issue, ie if I could easily go online and purchase quickly and easily a tv series, movie, album for a reasonable price I would, but at the moment the industry hasn’t moved into the 21st century and are still wanting people to pay exhaubitant prices for dvds and cds or I am forced to use Itunes or similar which is so much dearer in Australia than in the US which makes no sence as our dollar is stronger.

Then some bureaucrats who know nothing about the internet and how it works make some knee jerk legislation that will only make internet providers such as Google , Wikipedia (non profit) and you tube have to fork out huge amounts of money to have systems and people monitor all the links for sites a bureaucrat says is unsuitable, thereby reducing the service they provide to us.

Argh!!!!!!

Post # 5
14494 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@KatNYC2011: I don’t know about reddit, but wikipedia is down and google is blacked out (if you click on the black out bar it explains it).  This has been all over the news all week and alot of sites are doing things in protest of this law, and rightfully so, it is absolutely a rediculous law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

Post # 6
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

@tksjewelry: Over here in the UK everything is still up. I know reddit will go down at 8am EST but google and wikipedia are still up for me.

I agree the blackout is great and a really good way to raise awareness. I think facebook should have joined too. Because that would hit a TON of people.

Post # 7
2731 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@KatNYC2011: Google is still working, but it’s just the “doodle” of the logo is blacked out with a black rectangle, and if you click on it it tells you why.

Post # 8
14494 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@KatNYC2011: FB def should have!  I posted it to my FB from Google and I strongly urge EVERY Bee to do the same.  Let’s keep the internet free from Censorship and free from government control!

Post # 9
515 posts
Busy bee

My Google isn’t a black rectangle, but it does have a link to their petition thing.

Wikipedia “worked” as in the website came up, I searched for something, that came up, and then it immediately went to a blackout page with an explanation.

The White House is threatening a veto on PIPA and SOPA, so supposedly they are making amendments to them. I’d say the best “amendment” they could make to them would be to “accidentally” put them through a shredder to never be seen again.

ETA: I’m stationed overseas, so websites were up for a large part of the 18th for me. But now they’re down.

Post # 10
14494 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@AubByAub: wordpress has a link to object to the State Department.

Post # 11
515 posts
Busy bee

@tksjewelry: thanks. I just went ahead and used my stateside residence on the strike page, since that’s where I actually live. 🙂

Post # 12
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

@simpleandchic: YES. It doesnt make sense why the media industry hasn’t moved forward like that!!

Make sure to call your representatives today! And if you have a blog or website, you can black it out too.

I did [self promotion removed]

Post # 13
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

agree – wish FB had joined.

Post # 14
1278 posts
Bumble bee

The Oatmeal has a really funny graphic, and they are also blacked out.

http://theoatmeal.com/

Edit: I just checked out craigslist, and at first it is blacked out, but after a few seconds on the bottom they will give you a link to get to the listings.

Post # 15
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

@T-Rex: that was awesome

Post # 16
14494 posts
Honey Beekeeper

This is my only FB status for today:

If FB will not do it, then I will.  I will join the internet protest of SOPA/PIPA and go black for the day. Good day all.

And this is my profile pic for the day:

The topic ‘Take that PIPA & SOPA!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors