(Closed) Take this dress down from 14 to 8/10?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
6963 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2016

Wait, are you not near the shop to be able to try it on?

Most wedding dresses are not sized like street sizes. Just as an example, I’m usually a size 6 or 8. My wedding dress is a size 12. 

Post # 3
4885 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

That is a gorgeous dress!

I bet you would be able to have it sized down by a really good alterations person.

A dress I really liked was more than I wanted to spend ($1500), and was in a size 14 when I tried it on. I was trying on size 8-10 gowns, so even clipped in, I had no idea what it may have looked like once it came in my size.

I understand your situation is different… but for the price, I bet it could be done. It’s not like it has intricate beading, but clean lines so it seems easy to do.

Post # 4
342 posts
Helper bee

You very well may be a size 12 in wedding dress sizing, and going from a 14 to a 12 isn’t a big jump, IMO.

Post # 5
1206 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

View original reply
bunnybabe282:  Usually most people have to order up 1-2 sizes in bridal gowns from their street size so it actuallay might fit pretty well without tons of alterations. I’d check the measurements of the size 14 from whatever designer it is and compare to your own measurements to see how far off it is. 

Post # 8
1206 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
bunnybabe282:  I’d imagine you could call the bridal shop and ask them. They usually have the measurements so they can determine your size when you’re there trying them on. 

Post # 9
275 posts
Helper bee

Bridal gowns can typically be altered 2 sizes up or down.  Since you will probably be about a 12 in a bridal gown given your street size, you should be fine.

Post # 11
4104 posts
Honey bee

No wonder you love it.  Beautiful!

Post # 12
2251 posts
Buzzing bee

I think taking it in would not be a problem.  Gorgeous dress

Post # 13
706 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

View original reply
bunnybabe282:  I would call them and findout,bridal runs small… I wear a 6 in street clothes and in my Maggie sottero Iam a 10.

Post # 14
8878 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Bridal sizes are small, it will more than likely fit or be close. Could easily be taken in enough to fit. I say buy it!

Post # 15
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

My friend had bought a sample Enzoani wedding dress (size 12), and she’s no more than a street size 4/6 herself. The botique was able to tailor the dress to her size. Since you’re a street 8/10 buying a dress size 14, I’d imagine you’d be OK 🙂 Definitely call the botique up and see what they think. Good luck, what a beautiful dress!!

The topic ‘Take this dress down from 14 to 8/10?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors