(Closed) Taking a break and saving money to do IVF in 2017? Poll

posted 4 years ago in TTC
  • poll: If you were waiting for IVF what would you do for the next 6 months?
    Do nothing, wait it out and save $$ : (31 votes)
    44 %
    Do one more injectable IUI : (6 votes)
    9 %
    Do 2+ more injectable IUIs : (1 votes)
    1 %
    Plan a trip, even though it would cost $ : (30 votes)
    43 %
    Other : (2 votes)
    3 %
  • Post # 16
    4086 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I just wanted to chime in…I wasn’t in exactly the same boat,  but we took some time off while waiting for me to get a lap.

I would definitely save: one thing it’s so easy to forget is the importance of having something in the bank in case you DO get pregnant!

I would definitely take a trip and enjoy your “just the two if ys” time with Darling Husband .Also I’d focus on getting as healthy as possible: lose those extra 5 lbs, etc. So much luck and prayers for you and your DH!

Post # 17
    3286 posts
    Sugar bee

We took off many months saving for IVF and eventually surrogacy. 

The months off went quickly and  we really saved like crazy during those months.  We also took a trip to regroup and I dunno. ….it was fun and nice but it did delay our savings. 

Post # 18
    1915 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013 - backyard in the woods

JLBB-brooklyn:  OMFG. The first comment, really? *sigh* I voted for taking a trip.

Post # 19
    984 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

countingstars:  I hate it when people ask that.  Obviously the poster here is talking about infertility issues and wanting to seek treatment.

Post # 20
    984 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I would take a break, save money and take a trip.  I would keep up the monthly BD and you never know. But I emotionally and financially understand the need to sometime take a break.

Post # 21
    1197 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I vote for taking a vacation, saving and taking a break from treatment. Darling Husband and I began saving for IVF in case our IUIs fail, but I couldn’t give up our annual vacation. Have to do something to unwind from all the craziness! 

Post # 22
    2247 posts
    Buzzing bee

countingstars:  But OP didn’t ask about adoption in her post at all – it was pretty clear about infertility treatments and whether to attempt more IUIs or wait until have insurance coverage for IVF. You comment was out of place completely. 

Post # 23
    2247 posts
    Buzzing bee

JLBB-brooklyn:  I vote for waiting for IVF, but to lessen the brutal wait maybe do few Clomid/Femara IUIs during the wait, so the costs are still small (as opposed to injectables) 

Post # 26
    422 posts
    Helper bee

We saved $$ for about 5 months between IUI and IVF. It was a nice break and it allowed us to clear our heads and focus on something other than TTC for a chance. It was exactly what we needed.

Post # 27
    4575 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

JLBB-brooklyn:  Giving it one more shot and taking breaks in between sounds like a reasonable plan.  Of course, you can always change your mind.  You are the one putting your body, mind and sould into this, so if you ever just want to wait for January, you can do so.  I am sorry you even have to be put into this scenario.  I personally would wait for January and save all the money that I can for IVF.  However, I support your decision (((HUGS)))……and like another bee said, if you take a little getaway, make sure to avoid Zika infected places.  xoxo

Post # 28
    1105 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

JLBB-brooklyn:  The EOBs are just an overview, I work in insurance and the doctor should write off the rest of it, unless they’re absolutely horrible and, being independently owned, they have the right to charge fees in addition to your insurance, but realistically they should let you know ahead of time. I have BCBS and my husband had an emergency room visit and a doctor billed us 2k, and our insurance was only willing to make something like 150.. They sent me a bill and I called them freaking out, and they were like.. No, we write off the rest. Otherwise whats the point of insurance? I could see if you’re responsible for some amount of coinsurance, and that’s what you’re paying for, but not the arbitrary excess amount your doctor bills for. Make sure to fight that, if they end up billing you for services covered by insurance. 

I voted to take a vacation, and try a few more IUIs. If you can get pregnant via an IUI, you might save yourself quite a lot of money.. Also, from how much you and your hubs have gone through, you both deserve some time to get away and enjoy yourselves. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you, bee. I hope this next ones the one ❤️

Post # 29
    979 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Hi friend! Totally missed your thread last week but just wanted to say that I’m rooting for your next IUI to be the one!!

Post # 30
    4548 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

JLBB-brooklyn:  I saw your update. I see your doctor’s point, but I’m glad you’re considering some breaks among the IUIs as well. 

Darling Husband and I have unexplained infertility, as well, and after 3 IUIs (with injectibles), we decided to take a couple months off just to give ourselves an emotional break (and myself a physical break from all the hormones and tests). Our RE was fine with us taking as long as we needed – I just started my 2nd cycle off, and I think we’ll go back to treatment after this one, but the break was the best decision we’ve made. It’s worth the potential extra wait (I mean, after 2.5 years, what’s another month or two?)

The topic ‘Taking a break and saving money to do IVF in 2017? Poll’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors