Post # 1
I need someone to help talk me through this. I got laid off from my job a little over a year ago. I’ve been looking for a job but with no luck, but I’ve gotten through final round interviews at a job I’m excited about and it looks like I’ll get the offer.
HOWEVER, DH & I started TTC last month. We decided that once we have children, I’ll stay at home with them instead of getting a nanny or daycare. We are lucky that DH’s income is enough to support our family. Is it wrong of me to take this job knowing that if I get pregnant next month, I might be quitting in 9 months?
But if god forbid we can’t get pregnant or it takes a long time, I definitely want to be working. I don’t like being a stay-at-home wife. And I know that if I tell the company that I’ll only be working until I get pregnant, I won’t get the job (even though I know that’s illegal, I’m sure that’s the way it’ll work anyway).
Am I being crazy?
Post # 3
Put yourself first. Companies can always rehire when someone leaves, and the way that the job market is, there will likely be someone out there thanking his/her lucky stars that you decided to be a Stay-At-Home Mom when you go. Good luck on your TTC journey.
Post # 4
- Wedding: March 2013 - Callanwolde Fine Arts Center
You don’t need to disclose that you’ll only be working at the position until you’re pregnant. It makes a lot of sense to get a new job now, even though you’re TTC, so good luck in your final interview 🙂
Post # 5
Definitely put yourself first and don’t give it another thought (unless it’s a small business) It might take awhile to get pregnant and you want to be working during that time.
Good luck getting the job!
Post # 6
- Wedding: April 2012 - Chateau Briand
I would go for the job. Like you said, if you don’t get pregnant right away, you’ll be able to work a little longer than you think. Plus, circumstances could always change and if you leave a good reputation, you could always look into going back down the line if you want.
Post # 7
@CityBearBride: I wouldn’t do it in my field, but I think it depends a lot on the type of job and if you are somewhat easily replacable. I’m a clinical social worker and leaving after 9 months would really screw over my coworkers and the families I work with.
Post # 8
Take it!! You said it yourself, you MIGHT be quitting in nine months. You might not. Even if you are/get pregnant soon, you might want to keep your job. Lots can happen in nine months+.
Post # 9
Companies spend so much time, money, and resources hiring new people. I think it would be really bad job karma to take the job knowing full well you’re going to quit pretty soon. If you were TTC in a year, I’d say take it, but you’re actively trying now, so hold off. What if you get pregnant sooner, then have complications and have to quit after three months? That would hurt a much needed future job recommendation if you wanted to work down the road. If ever you need or want to go back to work, now you know of a place that likes your credentials!
Post # 10
Thanks everyone! This is for a large real estate finance company (over 1,000 employees). I definitely would be upfront about leaving if it was for a small business. I’d be very easily replaceable.
I feel like if I don’t take the job, I’m jinxing myself and it will take a really long time to get preggo!
Post # 11
I just took a job for a new company (I worked for a sister company of theirs for 5 years) and I’m 5 months pregnant and they knew going in. But like the AP say you don’t have to disclose anything to them until you’re ready and also if you’re not even pregnant yet, do not worry about it.
Post # 12
I’m in a similar situation. Dh and I plan to ttc in 2 months and we both were on the fence about me getting a job. One came up and I decided to go for it because I have no idea how long we will be trying and even if it happened quickly I wouldn’t want to be sitting at home waiting for 9 months to go by if I didn’t have to.
Post # 13
I think you should apply/find a job if you’re able to! You don’t need to tell them your TTC.
I have a friend in a similar situation as you. I think she thought she would be pregnant and having a baby right away and she didn’t end up working for over a year (while TTC). They are still TCC but it’s taking a while, she just went back to work in the mean time. You might as well work, you never know how long it may take to get pregnant!
Post # 14
if you don’t need the money, can you volunteer somewhere during this time instead? a hospital, a school, a non-profit organization?
Post # 15
Take the job!!! Think of yourself first. The company would put itself first in a heartbeat.
And, for heavens sake, do NOT tell anyone at your new job about plans to TTC!
Post # 16
Well I got the job offer yesterday! And I have until Monday to decide offically, but DH & I think it’s for the best if I take it. Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
I’ve been trying to find volunteer work in an organization that interests me, but unfortunately positions at non-profits are extremely competitive in NYC! (Other than tutoring roles, which unfortunately I am horrible at). And we definitely could use the money to save because we aren’t saving much on one salary!