(Closed) tatted bride & tatted bridal party…

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

Everyone should look like themselves on the wedding day!  I think it’s completely inappropriate to ask someone to cover up a part of themselves (and it sounds like you don’t even want to!).  Tell your family – or whoever is giving you a hard time – to back off!  If anyone in the wedding party chooses to cover up a tattoo that it their decision to make, but no one should tell them to do so.

Post # 4
1080 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I think that if you were to change how everyone looks just for pictures you would look back and think everyone looked weird bc they were not themselves. Your fmailies love you for you, don’t change it on your wedding day!

Post # 4
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I think it’s fine to show tattoos as long as the tattoos aren’t anything vulgar, which you have said they aren’t. They are a part of who you are….go with it.

Post # 5
87 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

You need to be true to who you are.  I hate when people judge others who have tattoos, I will never understand.  While none of mine will show on my wedding day my Maid/Matron of Honor is pretty heavily tattooed and I couldn’t care less.  It is who she is, and I love her as she is.  Whenever I look at the picture I will see HER.  I know people have all sorts of opinions about tattoos but it is your opinion that counts on your wedding day.

Post # 6
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

You guys all chose to express yourselves in that way for a reason.  No need to change who you are for a day… for your day.  If it doesn’t bother you or your Fiance, everyone should come as they are.  That’s just my opinion. 

Post # 7
852 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m not covering up my tattoo 🙂  If you don’t want to then dont!

Post # 10
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I have two but only one is visible. I actually went out of my way to make sure it would show that day because it is a major part of who I am. My tat is in memory of my late grandfather and I can’t imagine covering it up to please someone else’s taste. I don’t think there’s any sense in trying to look differently than you usually do. Here’s a pic of mine on our wedding day that my step dad took randomly.

Post # 11
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Thank you for posting this question.  I was struggling with the same issue.  I have a large tattoo on my arm that would show with almost any wedding dress I have liked so far.  But my mind kept going back to a wedding where the bride had a flower tattoo on her back and I heard someone say “Oh, she looks so pretty… except for that tattoo.”  But you know what then, that person’s opinion is not worth it… because they obviously didn’t except the bride for who they truly were.  My tattoos are a part of me and I’m proud of them.  So I’m not going to struggle to cover them up for my special day either  (the key word there being “MY” special day).  It’s YOUR day, make yourself happy and the heck with anyone else who judges you based on that.  You are beautiful and as long as your tattoos make you feel good, then why not show em off on your day? 

I was just in a wedding party where the bride asked (well demanded actually) that all the girls with tattoos to cover them up.  She paid for the makeup.  I was hurt at first and told her so.  But in the end agreed because that was the only real demand she made of us and it was important to her for the look of her pictures.  I scrubbed that stuff off though as soon as I got home.  It meant a lot to see her so happy on her day… But for my day I choose to be myself.

Thanks again to all the posters for making me feel more confident in my decision.  I hope you will do what makes you happy too.

Post # 12
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

You should look like yourselves. I don’t think I’d want to look back at my wedding pics and regret covering up part of who I am for the sake of doing things “the way they should be done”. If your wedding guests accept you as you are now why would their opinion of you change on your wedding day?

Post # 14
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I am not tattooed, but have LOVED the photos I’ve seen of tattooed brides and bridal parties.  Check out offbeat bride’s archive of tattooed brides, here

There are some pretty awesome examples of showing off your art. And I agree with PP’s – you shouldn’t try to hide what you look like on your wedding day! 

Post # 15
962 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I can’t help but think part of it is the generational clash.  Our parents have long since accepted us for the inked up pair that we are.  FH opted to wear a long sleeve shirt and pants for our wedding, because he would feel more comfortable not showing all his ink.  I, on the other hand, want my fave piece shown (the one below) so I opted to wear something that would showcase it.  Will there be some aunts/uncles that are nay-sayers?  Absolutely!  Do we care?  Not an ounce – we are who we are because that is what we love.  We will love our wedding photos because we love each other – and those in our wedding.  Auntie Poopoo and Uncle Grimace had their wedding to do their way.

(3rd of 4 hours, so not *complete*)

The topic ‘tatted bride & tatted bridal party…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors