(Closed) Tax question..?

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011


yes you need to change your name with the social security office, that is very important. Once you do that, the federal government will associate your social security number with your new name, so you can file your taxes and do everything else in your new name. I don’t think you need to modify your tax paperwork, the government just takes care of it because they know your social is the same. At least that’s how it worked for me when I changed my name.

Post # 4
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Yes, in order for your name change to be legit, it must be done through the SS office.  Otherwise the name associated with your SSN will be you maiden name.  That means filing taxes, and anything that you have to associate your SSN to you must use your maiden name — unless, of course, you go to the SS office and have it changed.  Hope this helps!

Post # 5
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

You have to file your taxes on what your legal name is! Which means: Its not legal until you legally change it at the SS office.

The topic ‘Tax question..?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors