(Closed) Taxes Question

posted 6 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Your filing status is married, and use your maiden name on the tax forms since your social security and W2 will still be with that name.

ETA: You will have the choice as to whether to file as “married filing jointly” or “married filing separately.” That will be you and your husband’s choice based on the specific details of your finances and you’d use whichever computes lower taxes.

Post # 4
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I never changed mine either.  It really will not matter that much, it only changes the amount they are withholding not the amount you have to pay come April.  I would just change it at the beginning of the year. 

Post # 5
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

If you have a marriage certificate, you are married, but you will either file jointly or separately. 

How much are certficate copies? I think we got one for $15. DMV, Social Security, didn’t keep the copy, they just needed to see it, so you should be able to just get one. 

Post # 6
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@tksjewelry – I don’t believe that is accurate, or at least not in all cases, as the tax tables and deduction rules differ when married.

Post # 7
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2015

UM I have been married for 6 years now and still have not changed my ss card! (I know real lazy) any way I have never had an issue when filing our taxes! Good luck

Post # 8
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

You’ll be filing for the tax year 2011, so I would assume you’d file separately since you weren’t married until recently.

But you should ask an accountant to be sure.

Post # 9
893 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@littlemissvintage:  You can still file jointly and use your maiden name.  I have a lot of clients who do that.

Rule of thumb – Whatever your status is at 12/31/2011, is your status for the tax return.  Whether or not you can afford copies of our marriage license, it still exists in the records, right?

Post # 10
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@MissMaryMc: If you’re married on the last day of 2011, you’re considered married the whole year for tax purposes.

You are officially married, so your status needs to be married, filing either jointly or separately. As for your name, your company submits your W2 to the SS administration, so if you haven’t changed your name with them yet, use your maiden name on the tax forms.

Post # 11
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I wouldn’t worry about changing your W4 for this year, but go to payroll and do it for the new year so you don’t have too much withheld.  Usually, the spouse that is making more should take the deductions on the W4 and the spouse that makes less should take none.  That makes it so you pay your taxes pretty close to the amount due instead of overpaying too much.

When you file next year, you need to file as married filing jointly or married filing seperately.  Usually jointly is best for most people.  You are considered married for the entire year if you get married on 12/31.

But you can file with whatever name you have now, you are still considered married.

Post # 12
7173 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I didn’t change my name.  The tax man doesn’t care about your name.  Your SSN will be on there and all they care is about your filing status (just check the box).

Post # 13
627 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

i am an accountant and if you are married for 1 day during the tax year (2011), you must file either “married filing jointly” or “married filing separately”. you cannot file single.  it doesnt matter if you changed your last name or not. we have several clients with different last names that are married.

The topic ‘Taxes Question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors