(Closed) TEACHERS: I need help :(

posted 7 years ago in Career
Post # 3
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1999

Unfortunately, the educational system is under a lot of budgetary restrictions right now so there are not many job postings.  As a matter of fact, where I work, we have three certified teacher’s in aide/assistant positions.  It’s really disheartening for these individuals, as I’m sure it is frustrating for you. 

In terms of tips or suggestions, be persistent.  Visit schools and school districts in your area.  Try to make an impression while subbing.  Begin your educational program today and possibly consider a specialization area that isn’t as “saturated” (i.e. special education). 

Best of luck!

Post # 4
6 posts
  • Wedding: October 2011

Wow, the system where you live sure is different from the one where I live.  In Alberta, you cannot teach without an education degree from a university.  I had a Bachelor’s degree, and then did a second bachelors in education.  It took 6 years worth of full-time university study, with two years of practicum teaching.

Sorry, I know this does not answer your question.

Post # 5
5892 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I don;t know about TX, but in VA you don’t have to have an education degree, but you have to have education classes. I would find out what you need to get certified in your state. Usually the state education web site will tell you. Then I would begin taking the class and exams (usually Praxis, but it depends on your state) that you need. Do  you plan on doing Coaching one you start teaching? (you have a degree in Rec) if you are, try getting a part time coaching job. My BFF’s Darling Husband was a soccer coach and not a teacher at a HS.

Good Luck!

Post # 6
3788 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Sorry, OP, as @melisslp: said, right now is difficult in education. My husband has a BS in Bio, a Master’s in Education, and is certified in two areas and still can’t find a job. You really can’t become a full time teacher without getting certified, and that requires a teacher training program no matter which state you are in. Here in Pennsylvania, you can become intern certified, but you still have to be enrolled in a training program. Can’t speak towards TX. You can probably try to get a job as an aide, at least for experience while you’re getting your certification. Good luck!

Post # 8
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@CasaMay7: I’d try substitute teaching. Here in NJ all you need for a sub certificate is at least 30 college credits,submit to fingerprinting and a criminal background check and have a negative TB test. The certificate is good for 5 years.  

NYC is a bit more difficult, in addition to the previous requirements you need to be be recommended or sponsored by the principal of the school where you would like to substitute. Not sure about Texas, but NYC also requires all subs to enroll in a continuing education classes each year to renew their license.

Substitute teaching worked out great for me because I was able to build relationships within the school district, and get to know the people who do the hiring. If you build a good relationship with the school secretaries you’ll be the first to know about any anticipated job openings.

Post # 9
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m in Texas currently and have a masters degree and teaching certification and can not get a job other than substituting. It is not pretty right now and there are 500 fully qualified applicants for every posting in my area. 

Post # 10
4546 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

As others have said, education is a difficult field to be in right now. I’m a certified teacher with my Masters and two years of teaching experience and I’m struggling to find a full time job. You will have to be certified so I’d get on that right now. Subbing is a great way to get into the school system. Obviously the work isn’t 100% steady all the time (though if you get in good with a school you can sub most of the time) and there are no benefits and the pay isn’t great. BUT you make TONS of contacts, get experience, and it’s a great way to get your foot in the door and get some wonderful letters of rec. Good luck!

Post # 12
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

You should look into gettin a paraprofessional certification.  I am not sure how it works in TX but its faster than getting a teaching degree and there are still many para jobs here.

Post # 13
3254 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I teach in NC, and you must have a 4-year degree with certification in the type of education in which you plan on pursuing a career (ex: middle school, high school, etc.)

Unfortunately, teaching jobs are hard to come by right now.

I would follow the advice of PPs and perhaps sub for a while; while you don’t get benefits from being a sub, the pay actually isn’t that bad and allows you to network with the principals and teachers to get your name out there for the future when you have your degree. 

It’s hard to find good subs, and I know that I definitely continue to call the ones who do a great job in my classroom. You shouldn’t have too much of an issue getting call-backs if you take it seriously! 

Post # 14
1312 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Teaching is SOOOO hard to get into right now. It seems like when (at least in NH) they need money the balance the budget, education gets cut the hardest. I defintely think you should start your certifiation program ASAP if you are serious about doing it. If you can’t get a para (aide) job, put your name in everywhere for subbing and, at least up here, when a para job opens up, they are more likely to hire subs they know to fill those positions. I have dual certifications in Gen Elem Ed and Special Ed and ended up working as a para for 3 years after graduating beause I could not get a job. But, this is such good experience to have and all the training I took advantage of while as a para is what allowed me to be offered a 1st grade teaching position at a private school and now I am starting my 3 year as a Special Ed. teacher in a public school. Stick with it and be prepared to take whatever position you can get. It may get frustrating but if it is what you are passionate about, it’s worth it! Oh and I forgot, I know in New Husband, in order to be a Para, they are requiring you to have a Para 2 Certification (I think it is called now). So you might want to look into that as well.

The topic ‘TEACHERS: I need help :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors