Post # 16
A couple things happened. My husband forgot the rings in our hotel room (I reminded him before I left to get ready and didn’t in a million years think he would forget them) and my best friend who was the officiant didn’t staple his pages and he was reading and accidentally slipped a page behind another page but not in the back so he started reading it over again before he noticed. I tried to slip it out and he tightened his grip. It was all so hilarious. With the rings, I thought the guys were messing with me but they all looked like they saw a ghost. It all worked out and it’s a funny story now. I wasn’t mad becuase in the grand scheme of things, I am still married.
Post # 17
Oh gosh, we had a series of disasters. We got married less than 2 months ago and had loads of last minute declines because of the pandemic and a local airline going bust. That was the main thing we were bummed about. On the day we had the following:
1. I hung my veil on a lampshade for a photograph. Someone left the light on and the comb warped in every direction. My hairdresser had to rustle up a new comb and sew it in!
2. The wedding car broke down on the way to my house and arrived 30 minutes after I was supposed to leave
3. There were roadworks which kept my mother a further 15minutes late, so my ceremony started 45minutes late
4. My husbands nephew pulled loads of flowers from my bouquet during the ceremony from the seat behind my bridesmaids
5. My Mother-In-Law walked into the reception late during my dad’s speech, and tried to start a conversation with us, completely blocking the photographer view. The photos of my dad’s speech have her back blocking us, or us making a strained frustrated face trying to get her to sit down.
6. My Father-In-Law had a rage outburst at OH’s family and drove home drunk.
7. I left the confetti in my house! I was super bummed. I wanted that Confetti shot!
8. *TMI WARNING* I came on my period really heavy (and a full week early) the morning of our wedding. My boobs were really swollen and as a result my dress looks way more booby than I intended. My dress was a really tight mermaid, so I had to get the help of my SIL to fully take off my dress every few hours for fresh sanitary changes.
9. I forgot to pack pj’s and a clean shirt in my overnight bag. I went to breakfast the next morning in my husband’s wedding shirt
10. Our honeymoon was cancelled.
We still had a great day despite all the above and tried not to let it bother us! We will rebook our honeymoon when a this is over
Post # 18
No stories to tell of my own, and hoping to not have things go too astray. I’ve got a couple nuggets though:
I was Maid/Matron of Honor at my best friends wedding. On the day of her wedding 4 (!!) guests texted her for the address. She got understandably mad, gave me her phone for the rest of the day and told me not to reply.
Her aunt and uncle arrived well after the ceremony, and her aunt was so rude, asking the bride why she didn’t reply to the text message! It turned into a crazy whispering fight at the family table, that ended with her mother in tears and lots of racial slurs since my friend is half-Chinese and was marrying a white guy. It was terribly uncomfortable for everyone.
Here’s the worst part: we stayed at the same hotel as the aunt and uncle, and while having breakfast they didn’t see my fiancé and I. We could hear the aunt STILL going on about how they gave my friend and her new husband too much money, and that she was such a brat for not just texting them the address. I swear I was gonna punch her.
BUT THERE’S MORE!
When talking about things later, my friend told me that a few years earlier this same aunt gifted her daughter a set of expensive lingerie for a wedding present. The aunt then clarified to her daughter that it was the same set that she got from HER MOTHER for her wedding day!
Post # 19
…. it got cancelled because of the pandemic.
Maybe it’s just me being salty about the situation but it seems insensitive for people right now to complain about their weddings not being perfect. At least yours happened.
Post # 20
My DJ said that he only took cash and expected it after the reception. I heard him say that. I soaked it in. I even wrote it down.
Did I have the cash at the time we needed to pay him? No. By sheer miracle, my uncles all pitched in and gave the DJ the cash while my husband wrote them checks to pay them back XD It was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life. I just can’t believe I forgot to stop at the bank before the wedding lol
Post # 21
We only had one small hiccup and it just makes us laugh (in the moment and now). My dress was slightly too long and there were a couple of small steps at the start of the aisle I ended up not being able to get up them without holding up my dress. So my dad carried my flowers for the first bit of the walks down the aisle
Post # 22
Oh boy, so many things went wrong lol. But, the most upsetting one was that I had planned a memorial table set-up (pictures/decor) to honor my father who had passed a couple of years prior to my wedding and the venue forgot to set it up! I was heartbroken and I only found out when my mother asked about where it was and then I realized they never set it up! After the wedding they were very apologetic and gave me everything to pack up and of course it was just an oversight but it was sad.
Post # 24
Telling stories and reminiscing can bring comfort in challenging times. And wedding ‘hiccups’ are things we often enjoy looking back on – they make good stories, frankly – and they’re hopefully things we’re able to laugh or shake are heads at now. Plus – what do all Bees have in common if not some interest in wedding related discussion? The intent of this post was certainly not to offend any Bees who have canceled their weddings. This is a tough time for everyone in different ways. For Bees who are already married, this thread could come as a welcome distraction. For Bees who plan on having a wedding post-COVID, they could pick up some wisdom from others’ past experiences. I’m going to close this thread because the seeds of derailing have been planted and I’m not interested in undergoing a personal shaming today. But I especially don’t want to see shaming of the Bees who have kindly shared their personal stories with us.
Have a good night – Please eat something delicious and talk to someone you love. 😜