(Closed) Tell me about your destination wedding of 50 people that cost less than $20,000!

posted 7 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 18
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

the site is beautiful indeed . my husband and i had a similar experience with planning out wedding in jamaica, they wanted to charge us 10,000 for 50 people, we asked them for an itemized list and were told they could not do that  . im from jamaica and know for certain the jack the prices way up when youre not living on the island , sorry to say this but look elsewhere, so not worth it.

Post # 19
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I am getting married in Negril, Jamaica in June. It will cost us about $15,000 for a wedding of 60 people. We are getting married at Moon Dance Cliffs. It’s not on the beach; however, the ceremony will take place on the cliffs over looking the water in a gazebo type setting– which from your OP sounds like something you’re not into. Have you looked into the Rockhouse, tensing Pen or Half Moon bay resorts in Jamaica? I was also considering those when I was doing research for our Destination Wedding. The thing I like about Moon dance is that it’s a smaller resort (only sleeps 63 people) so our wedding will be taking over the entire resort for 3 days. I didn’t want to get married at a huge resort like Sandals or a RUI. I can’t wait! 

Post # 20
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
@Brittanyg20:  I think I remember them having some type of lawn towards the beach, so there might be space.  The beach was really lovely though…there were these beautiful low branched knotted trees that would make for beautiful wedding pictures. 

One thing that I remember for sure was that the food and drinks were really really good. They had a restaurant there that served local food & it was really fantastic. And they had fresh watermelon juice (that could be mixed with your choice of liquor) by the pool that I still think about regularly.

Post # 21
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

View original reply
@Brittanyg20:  The resort is providing the alcohol.  We negotiated the crap out of the package to the point where the catering manager finally told us that was her last and final offer. LOL  It was originally $189 pp ++ (gratuity and taxes) and we got her down to $130pp ++.  Not every resort is the same, but I say negotiate until they say no.

Post # 22
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I got married at the St Regis in Punta Mita, Mexico.  Overall for 80 guests we spent approx, 65k including rings, flying our photographer in from California and our airfare.  Our wedding included a welcome reception for our guests the night before with open bar as well.  IN the end it was the best decision we ever made. 

Post # 23
102 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2014 - Akiin Beach Club, Tulum Mexico

Congratulations!  

Wonderful location you have chosen, but sorry to tell you that is not big surprise Jamaica is extremely overpriced. Unfortunately I have heard nothing but negative things about the island.

One of my colleagues at work got married there last year, she was so disappointed by the lack of customer service everywhere – her wedding was a disaster, even though she got married at a 5 star resort.  My best friend who is an executive director for a very well-known online travel company has always complained about how overrated Jamaica is, and advises everyone to spend their money in Mexico where they treat the customer/tourist like royalty.

Have you checked out Xcaret in Playa del Carmen, Mexico?  They have beautiful indoor venues. Also Hacienda Uayamon in Campeche south of Riviera Maya. 

Good luck and hope you find the location of your dreams! 

Xcaret:

The table area and the dance floor separated by a small canal (underneath the stairs).

Below Hacienda Uayamon in Campeche:

Post # 24
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I liked the location you chose but that is def a crazy quote. I also considered Xcaret EcoPark in Mexico that the previous poster suggested- gorgeous and unique. I think when I researched it, I found it could cost $20K for about 80 ppl. I researched a lot in the Mexico/South and Central America area – since I wanted something fairly convenient to NY but also non beach and very unique. Just to share with you some of what I briefly considered, maybe it will spark ideas foryou:

– Africam Safari Park in Puebla, Mexico

Hotel Quinta Real Zacatecas in Mexico – it is a bullring converted into a hotel – very awesome

–  Bayan Tree Mayakoba in Rivera Maya, MX – loved the idea of getting married around the banyan tree – http://www.banyantree.com/en/mayakoba/experience_the_resort/image_gallery

– Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort at Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica

– Hotel Villa Calletas in Costa RIca – has a bautiful ampitheatre for weddings!

In the end, I chose Panama’s Gamboa Rainforest Resort. I’m having a ceremony in the old city of Panama in “las bovedas” ruins turned into an art gallery, dinner overlooking the Canal and an outdoor reception in the rainforest – this will all be spread ascross 2 days. Originally I thought I could do it for $15K with about 70-80 guests but I’ve definately gone way above that – yikes 🙂 Hopefully it turns out ok! 

Post # 25
1340 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Bookmarking this…

Post # 26
1 posts
Wannabee

NOOOO!!!! You made the most rookie mistake by going directly to the hotel. This is where I’m getting married in February and I have a whole package for £9,000 for 75 Guests. The way around the extortionate fees to is use a Jamaican wedding planner. They have connections with the best venues and get them at small er than a fraction of the price. For example, my planner is pay $800 for this venue. There’s no way us mere mortal brides woudl ever be able to negotiate a price like that.

I’m sorry that I didn’t se eyour post sooner and I’m sure you’ve made other arrangements by now, but there are defintiely ways around it.

Post # 27
989 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

We are having a Destination Wedding on Lake Orta in Northern Italy next June.

We’re expecting about 60 guests to join us and I think our total spend (including travel costs and attire/accessories) will be the UK equivalent of about US$20,000. We’ve been able to add lots of great extras which we wouldn’t have been able to afford if we’d gone for a traditional wedding in our home town as everything to do with weddings is just so expensive in the UK!

Post # 28
Hostess
2997 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I was married in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. It was really beautiful and all inclusive so it kept the cost down. All in for about 30 people was between 10-12,000

Post # 29
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: Huracan Cafe

View original reply
sweetchiquita12:  Is there anyway you could PM me the resort you used? The resturant? and What you did for a photographer? 

Post # 30
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
TamaraPlummer:  can you tell me who your wedding planner is or how you went about finding one? This is great info to know as I plan on getting married there next year and am just in the beginning stages. I would be learly about hiring someone I don’t know, but I guess that’s how it normally works! Any info you can provide would be much appreciated!

The topic ‘Tell me about your destination wedding of 50 people that cost less than $20,000!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors