Post # 1
One of my FI’s friends got married this past weekend. We were unable to attend as it was too far away and we’re tight on money because of the weding. Anyway, apparently a drunk person lit a sparkler and decided to put it in the bucket with 100 unlit sparklers and the whole thing exploded. One of FI’s friends spent the evening in the ER because he was trying to get the sparks away from the bride’s dress when the sparklers exploded. He’s got burns on his hands. Lesson: drunk people should NOT be given sparklers!
Post # 3
I just bought a ton of both the small and big sparklers for my wedding reception and had not thought of that……wow! Thanks for the heads up!
Post # 4
Yeah, I figured it’s a good heads up for those of us using sparklers 🙂
Post # 5
Yeah, our venue said no sparklers for this reason, sparklers + alcohol = potentially bad things
I hope your friend is doing better!
Post # 6
Wow, that’s awful. I think sparklers look good, but they are so, so dangerous. We went to a friend’s house over 4th of July and the CHILDREN (8 and under) had sparklers and bottle rockets and stuff. Makes me so nervous.
Post # 7
Ouch! Omg that’s terrible. I guess its a good thing this happened toward the end of the night, that would of changed the whole mood.
Post # 8
My FH has a friend who tied 50 sparklers together and lit it. He blew his hand off! He had to get part of his arm amputated and has scars all on his face…obviously not smart.
Post # 9
Wow, how absolutly crazy @june42011.
Post # 10
@MrsPinkPeony: Wow…that’s awful!
We’re only have like 10 or so sparklers and they’re only going to be given out to people who aren’t drunk and who are older and responsible.
Post # 11
Holy crap, June42011!!!!!!
I actually had a chemistry professor that had 3rd degree aluminum-lithium powder burns on his hand and chemical burns are the WORST, no joke. I don’t think people realize sparklers are chemicals and they are SO SO dangerous.
Post # 12
Oh, that’s so awful!
I really wanted sparklers when I was first planning – but, after being handed on during the 4th of July – I was so glad I decided not to – those little falling sparks are HOT!
Post # 13
Wow…what a shame. I hope everyone is ok? How terrible for the bride and groom. I considered these because they seem so fun – childhood nostalgia, etc. and look great in pics, but was shot down by local ordinances – I guess this sort of thing is why!
Post # 14
I remember having sparklers as kids. It wasn’t long before I began being terrified of them. Maybe I’m a bit of a scaredy cat, but I just don’t see how those are things kids should be given! I’ll stick with poppers and snakes and smoke bombs :p
Sucks about the wedding though 🙁 I do love the pictures with sparklers, but definitely not something I would feel safe around.
Post # 16
- Wedding: May 2018 - Coyaba Resort, Montego Bay
I was terrified of sparklers as a child…and still to a point, am today! Great reminder for those using them in their wedding!