- 7 years ago
- Wedding: August 2010
Let me first preface this by saying this is not a judgment call post – it is really just a guideline for brides with questions regarding the ever perplexing Thank You Notes. Not everyone has to agree with me on this, but I learned my manners from my Tennessee born and raised Granna who would “write a thank you note for a thank you note”
I hope the following guidelines HELP you!
1. Be prompt – 3 months is a good guideline for thank you notes after receiving your wedding gift – however, I found it easiest to respond right away to gifts received before the wedding then gave myself no more than 3 months from my wedding date to send Thank You notes for gifts received at my wedding……any gifts received after the wedding also have the 3 month guideline
2. If you dont get your thank you notes out in 3 months you are not a bad person!!! Life gets busy, things happen, you move, you get pregnant (maybe), you have a new job, etc, etc. Just get them done as quickly as you can!
3. Be sincere – make sure you thank your guest for the specific gift they gave you and try to include the way you used it. If its cash you can just thank them for the “generous gift” and say that you are saving it or that is helping you get started in newlywed life.
4. Try to reference their presence as well as their present (if they attended your wedding) and even better if you can say something specific like “I loved watching you and the Mr. dance all night long!”
5. You should send thank you notes for gifts given at any pre-wedding party that is thrown for you. If you receive gifts for your engagement party or your bridal shower, you need to send a thank you note for them. If your bridal shower is within a very short period of time from your wedding then you can just mention the bridal shower gift in your wedding thank you note.
6. Dont send mass produced cards that have no personal message. They dont really have any meaning.Theres nothing wrong with pre-printed cards as long as you include something personal as well.
7. People love wedding photo thank you cards because they can display them on their refrigerator!
8. You dont NEED To send a thank you note to guests for coming to your wedding if they did not give you a gift. Yes, it is a nice gesture but it is not necessary so dont stress yourself out with this. If you dont want to, then dont.
Those are all the tips I can think of that I have seen questions about. I’m sure there will be some disagreement but I think if you stick by these guidelines you probably won’t offend anyone. These are the things I have stuck by and everyone seems to be happy!