Post # 1
I really need help bees,
I have no idea if I should do the screen or not. I’m worried that my age (35) will return a chance of a false positive, and then if we go ahead with an amniocentesis, I’m worried about the risk of miscarriage (having had 2 consecutive before this). If we don’t do the anmio, I would be stressed for the next 6 months worrying about a positive. My Dr said that it does sometimes come back negative in my age group. My DH wants to do it, I’m not so sure.
Advice or insight please!!
Those that have done it, was it worth it?
Post # 3
I guess to me it would have to be a.pros and cons thing and is the benefits higher than the risks and are the risks acceptable toyou. Would certain outcomes change your plans, would knowing n or not knowing make you less stressed, would you prep differently, etc.
For me.personally, I plan to have the noninvasive tests done because the risks of amnio are not worth the knowing for changing anything I would do with the fetus at that point. There are pros to knowing ahead of time should there be any issues like being able to prepare for the potential compilations but at the same time, knowing may also just be stress that is.potentially will come to nothing when the tests indicate a high risk but then you have a baby that is “normal”.
Post # 4
If the results will affect your choice then I would go for it. Do you want the baby if there is a problem? If there is a problem would you want to know to start preparing yourself? If you want the baby no ,matter what and are willing to wait until birth to see if there is a problem, I would just skip them. I believe my mom had an amnio with me b/c of age, but she would have had me no matter what. She just wanted to know to get prepared
Post # 5
My friend is pregnant with #3 and is 35. Dr didn’t give her a choice on the 12 week screening. But she wanted it done anyways. We wanted it done so we could prepare ourselves incase it was bad news. And we could try and figure out what to do/how to raise a child like that.
In my experience (googling) if you get “bad numbers” you can usually ask for another ultrasound before jumping to the amnio, incase the tech measured wrong or baby wasn’t cooperating.
Goodluck with the decision!
Post # 6
@Sunshine09: I can’t comment on the over 30 part, I’m 26 and we decided we’d do the test but most likely not go through with the amnio if it came to that. You kind of need to mentally prepare before hand and decide whether or not you’re willing to risk the amnio. When the results came back (well for mine anyway), they equate your results to an ovarian age, mine was ovaries the age of a 15 year old (funny concept, I know.. I laughed). What I’m saying is, if you’re in good health there is a good chance they will find your ovarian age to be much younger and your results be good. Just because you’re over 30 doesn’t mean you’re doomed with a positive screen, lots and lots of people have healthy babies much much older than you are.
The other thing to consider is.. why does your DH want the screening done? Is it to mentally prepare for the birth of your child if your risks are high? Is it possible termination? Those will all play a role in how much you want to do the test.
For my DH and I, we wouldn’t have terminated the pregnancy unless the baby was not likely to survive birth, or only survive a short while after birth in which case we probably would have but we thought if it were highly likely our child would be born with a disorder we wanted to consult support groups/information to be better equipped with how to care for a baby with special needs.
Not an easy decision at all, and it’s probably harder because it’s such a hard topic. The “ignorance is bliss” part of it is so tempting, but something that made me really decide to go ahead with it was reading the blog below and it completely tore me up inside when it came the moms initial reaction, I really did not want that to happen to me.. I wanted to know in advance if that was our path.
Good luck with your decision!
ETA- Forgot to also add, the test can also detect things like heart defects which can allow for surgieries to be planned and anticipated prior to your delivery and MrsDW is right that before jumping to an amnio they can do more in depth ultrasounds to help diagnose further.
Post # 7
Are you in the US? There is a noninvasive option (blood test)if you get a ratio result you aren’t comfortable with. It is very new, only 2 labs do it but you might be able to find a doc who will draw the blood and send it off. 99.1% accurate. Google noninvasive prenatal testing (NIPT). Ask your doc about it. I talked to a genetic counselor about it but didn’t end up doing it. You would probably have to pay out of pocket since it is so new. I’m sure everything will be fine!
Post # 8
I was just going to suggest this! It’s called MaterniT21, and yes- it’s quite new so not all insurances will cover it.
OP-I had the NT scan and the AFP bloodwork that goes along with it, and the doctor said that they would suggest the NIPT for MaterniT21 panel instead of an amnio if my results had come back poorly. Luckily, they didn’t! Fingers crossed for you dear 🙂
Post # 9
yes! Such a great option…may even be worth skipping the screening when more insurance companies are on board so you stop the horrible anxiety associated with those ratios!
Post # 10
I’m in Canada, I don’t think we have that test here
Post # 11
if you really want it, they could mail you a blood draw kit and you could mail it back. Consider it a back up!
Post # 12
I just read that blog – thank you !! That really helped, I think I would prefer to prepare for that moment instead of being surprised and go through a range of unexpected emotions in that moment. That was very very helpful.
Post # 13
You’re welcome! I’m glad it could help you 🙂
Post # 14
First of all I’m so happy youre pg!! How wonderful! As previous posts have said it all depends on why you want to know the results of the screen and what would you do about it- and this is a personal choice. Now to rest your worries, I am 40, fiancé 52, thus our chances of a problem were high. We did do the first tri screen- ultra sound nuthal measurement and blood test, and our chances dropped down incredibly!!! We were elated! From 1:80 to 1:1500 for downs. So we didn’t do any other tests as the chances of a mc were actually higher than getting a positive. Yes it is nerve- wrecking but most of the time you’re fine seriously and once you know it’s so relieving. Of course the first tri screen is not as accurate as the diagnostic tests but cos it’s not invasive it’s worth it i think. The fetal DNA blood test, also mentioned is a great idea but for us in Australia it cost us$2000. Good luck!
Post # 15
thanks :))) Yes I’m almost 8 weeks! Everything going well!
That’s very inspiring feedback! I think that’s what we’re going to do – is at least do the initial test which is no risk and then go from there, just so we have some answers. That’s why DH wants to do it, he wants all the info possilbe, and I was just worried about getting more confused by the results. thanks for the help!
Post # 16
Here’s a brocheure we hand out in our clinic:
The risk at 35 for Down’s is 1 in 385 and the risk for any chromosomal mistake is 1 in 180. I know that seems high, but keep in mind that gives a very low percentage risk. Even if the inital screening (IPS) comes back “screen positive” that just means that the risk of a condition is high enough to justify the risk of an amniocentesis (1 in 200). Even 1 in 200 is still super low, 199 babies will be perfectly healthy.
Also, if the IPS comes back screen positive you can request to have a more detailed ultrasound rather than going straight to amniocentesis. It’s quite reassuring if the ultrasound is normal and some couples would then not go forward to do an amnio.
As a PP said, it really comes down to asking yourselves how useful this information would be…..what would or wouldn’t it change for you in terms of decision making?
I suggest talking to your care provider again if you have any further concerns or questions.
p.s. a PP commented about how her friend wasn’t given a choice…..just to be clear, there is ALWAYS a choice to take this (or any, really) test recommended by a health care provider, especially in this case where it’s not a medically indicated test, it’s a philosophical choice. Medicine’s most founding tenent is informed consent, and if you don’t give your full informed consent then the doctor is guilty of malpractice.