(Closed) the big name Change

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1001 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

It varies from state to state.  In Wisconsin, it was between 8-30 days before the wedding.  As far as name changing, once you are married, you will need to get a legal copy of your marriage license.  I was able to get mine from the register of deeds by mailing in a form I printed online.  It came in two days!  It cost me $20. Then I took it to the Social Security administration and applied for a new Social Security card.  That was super easy, too.  I waited about 15 minutes and it’s free.

Once you have a new social security card, you can change everything else – drivers license, bank account, insurance, etc.

Post # 4
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

It all depends on the state, and your officiant, and how fast they can get the paperwork done and ready for you. Since we were married at a courthouse ours was ready in 10 days and on that day I was able to get everything changed.

Post # 6
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

We went on Friday for our Saturday wedding.  As for changing your name, after you get the marriage license back, you take it to the Social Security office to change your name.  Then go to the DMV.  With your new license, you can change the rest of your accounts.  It took a week after the wedding for our license to come back.

Post # 7
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I just searched for marriage license on my county website and it told me the min and max time before the wedding that you can get the license.  I’m planning to get it as soon as possible to avoid any last minute problems, because you know if I wait until 2 days before the wedding, my birth certificate is going to be missing or something…

Post # 8
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

When we applied for our marriage license in MA, I was surprised b/c we didn’t have to bring anything! Of course, we had our driver’s licenses with us, but they never asked for them. After the wedding, I picked up the marriage certificate and took that with my birth certificate to the SS office, then within a day I was able to go to the DMV to get a new license.

Post # 9
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

We had to apply for our marriage license in PA no more than 1 month but no less than 3 days before the wedding. After our officiant signed it, the church mailed it back to the license office and we recieved our offical license in the mail about 2 weeks later. I had to mail a check and written request to obtain extra certified copies, but that only took a couple weeks as well. I immediately brought a certified copy to my local SS office in NY and applied for a new SS card with my new last name. I should get it in the mail next week. At that point I am bringing my marriage cert, new SS card to the DMV to get a new license and contacting everyone else on the list like insurance, etc. But I’ve already changed my name at work 🙂

Post # 10
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

In North Carolina you can get your license/application/certificate (all the same paper here) up to 60 days before the wedding.  In North Carolina name change has nothing to do with the license, ie. there is no place for name change on that paper.  The marriage certificate is just a reason to get your name changed at the social security office.  You go to the social security office after you recieve your official marriage certificate and that is proof of reason to change your name to whatever you want.  Then 3 days later you can go to the DMV for a new license.

Post # 11
1810 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

What state do you live in?

In California (or at least, in my county), you can get a marriage license up to 60 days ahead of time and on the marriage license, you can put what your married name is going to be (there are certain rules about what you can and can’t do in regards to changing your name). Then I guess you wait ’til you get something in the mail? (I’m slightly unsure of that point.) Then go to Social Security office first, then DMV, then all your other banks and stuff.

Don’t forget to change your passport if you plan on travelling out of the country!

The topic ‘the big name Change’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors