- 10 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
So here’s my situation…I am just beginning to get my feet wet and look into ideas for my wedding. I’ve got just over a year and a half so I’m not making a lot of firm plans yet, just general thoughts on location, decor, etc.
Already butting heads with my opinionated mom on certain things. Now, I’m not stressed about this, my mom and I are both rather opinionated women and I pretty much anticipated this. She has been to a ton of weddings, though, and I’ve only been to a handful. So I think, well, she might know what she’s talking about. On the other hand, my mom wants nothing but the most cookie cutter of cookie cutter weddings. In short, I’m not sure whose opinion to trust here!
So a few ideas I have thrown out that my mom has labeled too different, strange, or plain old weird for an elegant ballroom style wedding. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Please be brutally honest and let me know, I’m not posting just to get support for all these ideas, because really, what do I know about weddings? If you think they won’t work, tell me, I can take it, ha ha!
Also, bearing in mind that the wedding would be in a fairly conservative small town and would be considered ‘formal’.
– A candy bar. I live in the city and these are about as standard as the wedding cake here, but she is in a smaller town and thinks it would be odd at a formal affair.
– Non-traditional centerpieces – looking at a winter wedding so I want to do white lights in a vase with a battery pack at the bottom, or tall silver branches hung with crystal snowflakes.
– Little books as favors, those tiny ones they sell for fun at book stores. My hope is that if I got cute wedding related topics they would help stimulate table conversation.
– Christmas tree or branches draped with lights in the corners of the room, with shimmery fabric to make fake ‘snow’
– Hot cocoa bar
– An ice luge for drinks. Honestly I don’t know if I can afford one but I think it would be so cool for a winter wedding, for guests to watch their martini slide down a snowflake luge!
– A chocolate covered ‘forest’…I like the idea of a chocolate fountain but there will be a lot of kids and I think they would make a huge mess. I thought it would be cute to do chocolate covered marshmallows and strawberries on kabobs and stand them up to make a little display.
Ok so… thoughts please?