Since the bf (he has the ring and still waiting for it) let me choose the ring, since I’d be wearing it, I’ve poured over tons of diamond information. Here’s my 2 cents:
– No one is ever going to tell if your ring was from Tiffany’s or not from far away (unlike say a LV or designer purse)
– A well cut diamond, regardless of vendor is the SAME THING
– More than anything, CUT CUT CUT trumphs ALL. I’m talking looking at the depth %, crown angle %, and pavilion angle %, and making that thing SPARKLE like no other.
– CUT will enhance COLOR and hide lower CLARITY.
– CLARITY, unless you go below I1, will not affect the integrity of the diamond. Just be aware of where the inclusions are, but no one will look at your diamond any closer than 6 inches. VVS and higher are paying for something you can’t see
Tiffany’s commands a very large premium to pay for their marketing, ads, and customer service. There are vendors that sell well cut stones, but they aren’t gonna be at Jared’s, Kay’s, or your mall stores. Your best bet for the best price is online, and you can get the GIA cert, and all sort of different scans and reports for light performance.
And like others have mentioned, Tiffany’s does not use a industry grading service, it’s their own in house. So who knows how they grade. I imagine most Tiffany diamonds are quite beautiful, you’re just paying the price.
From what I hear, Tiffany’s cuts more towards brilliance vs fire, yep there’s a slight tradeoff. If you’ve got tons of money to burn, and want brand go for it. But at least do some education, Pricescope is a good starting point, especially the FAQ. Look at a really well cut non Tiffany, that will be a lot bigger than a comparable Tiffany at the same price and you make the call. It’s a big purchase, I chose to get educated. Also there’s PLENTY of vendors making Tiffany inspired settings. Check out Whiteflash or Brian Gavin diamonds online.
I myself went with a local vendor (slight premium than online by a few hundred $), and ecstatic, my diamond is F color, VS 2, excellent optics, with a milgrain pave band, .77…..$5,800. At Tiffany’s…..same specs at least $10k I’d say there.